World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought after catching my 1st dab and shore caught turbot recently wouldn't mind a bit of a flatty hat-trick :g: by catching a plaice - another species that has so far eluded me :schmoll: .

So are there any marks around south wales plaice can be targeted and caught regularly????

I know they move inshore in spring and I have seen the odd 1 caught around the porthcawl area in march/April.

So any info on marks (pm me if you want) or anything else you can think of that will help???

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I used to catch a lot of good ones down Barry Dock when I was younger, going over 2lb easy, not sure what it's like now though from all the changes. My dad used to dive for the police and he tells me when they went training in the dock as he used to fall past the shelves off the edge through the water there were masses of flatties. I used to catch these with small hooks, single rag worm dropped over the side onto the ledges, but he was always preoccupied with big baits targeting the massive conger he saw in there that used to give him nightmares. He reckoned there were some in there easily 50-60lb. Hope this helps a little, a bit off topic I know.

·
Registered
462 Posts
best place for them is llougher, langenith beach, mumbles pier...im not sure on that spot as i fish there alot and to b ohnest aint seen 1 of them cumming up from there get loads of dabs they look similar to small place but aint hered of place cumming off there not saying they dunt mind just i aint seen or heard.....

alos the old harbour in barry is a good mark for them

·
Registered
462 Posts
cheers for the replies keep em coming!!

Lougher and llangennith are more noted for flounder aren't they? not sure about plaice though
ul get plaice there dude

·
Registered
85 Posts
best place for them is llougher, langenith beach, mumbles pier...im not sure on that spot as i fish there alot and to b ohnest aint seen 1 of them cumming up from there get loads of dabs they look similar to small place but aint hered of place cumming off there not saying they dunt mind just i aint seen or heard.....

alos the old harbour in barry is a good mark for them
I had a small plaice off mumbels pier last summer:)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Hi,
Ive caught and released two small plaice from the Knapp beach this year! I was using a rag and lugworm cocktail on a size 2 hook. Plenty of bites but I reckon a lot of them were flatties as despite striking on them I never made contact with them. Devils!

Nick

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I caught a 1 1/2lb plaice off Sully Island a few tears back there was a strong southwesterly so I fished off the left side on the boulders towards St.Marys Well Bay.It's the only flattie I've caught off the Island,I had it on peeler.

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
i would strongly reccomend the old harbour breakwater fishing flapper rigs with size 2 or 4 hooks baited with ragworm and i bet you will get them along with flounder and schoolie bass.........

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ive never caught plaice at loughor or llangenith, i have however had a good few fishing off mumbles pier on the right hand side fishing towards the lighthouse never the other side, i have had plenty of flounders from loughor and llangenith but no plaice anybody had plaice from them 2 plaices?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ive never caught plaice at loughor or llangenith, i have however had a good few fishing off mumbles pier on the right hand side fishing towards the lighthouse never the other side, i have had plenty of flounders from loughor and llangenith but no plaice anybody had plaice from them 2 plaices?
:g: never heard of plaice from loucher,very suprised if thats right.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts