World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have tried Slapton a few times in the last week for plaice, using lug. Not a bite yet !! Anyone have any ideas, has anyone heard of any plaice from the shore yet. Would appreciate any guidance if it's on offer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Valeman said:
Have tried Slapton a few times in the last week for plaice, using lug. Not a bite yet !! Anyone have any ideas, has anyone heard of any plaice from the shore yet. Would appreciate any guidance if it's on offer.

Absolutely not a clue. Can't help in any constructive way - but Hello there!

PS ...I have no doubt that the (more knowledgeable) good folks here can help. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mate.

In my opinion Beesands, to the left of the car park, where the beach shelves rather than steps down, is better than Slapton. You want a westerly wind, clear water and the ability to cast your Rag / Crab / Squid cocktail a decent distance from the shore. Start fishing at low water on a decent spring tide as a bit of movement in the water encourages the Plaice to feed.
East Portlemouth, on the Salcombe Estuary is also a very good spot. Fish the incoming tide from the beach itself or walk around to the left and find a good vantage point on the rocks. Same baits work, and if you fish on into darkness with Prawn on the hook you're liable to latch into a decent Thornie.

Good look mate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C Breeze thanks for the reply anyway, judging by my clear inability to even come close to a plaice I am pretty clueless as well !!, take care.

Sammy Dimple, thank you very much. You have given me a lot of guidance which I very much appreciate. I shall certainly be trying to put into practice some of your suggestions. If I have any joy I shall let you know. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This year East Portlemouth has produced far more fish than Slapton/Beesands, best I have heard of is just over three pounds. However, my mate went out nearly two weeks ago and had 5 plaice to pound and a half, unfortunately I had flu and missed out.

Personally I have found East Portlemouth is best on a neap, from low water up, but I am sure others will swear by a spring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts