World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
had been trying to meet up with [email protected] AKA Rob for a few weeks to have a crack at the rays. Finally managed to arrange a meet for 21/04/14 at Herne bay (plan A). We had arranged to meet at 01:00 but after reading reports on forum about a abundance of rays showing up at the 'bay of plenty' we had a dilemma!!!!!
Do we change our minds or stick with plan A? The sources we had gathered information from were very reliable. After several phone calls we gave in to forum pressure & changed venue. We both arrived at new venue bang on 00:30, a little bit earlier than plan A, due to high tide now being earlier. It was the first time we met face to face so after quick hand shakes we gathered our gear & set off.
There was a couple of people there but other than that no signs of others. There was very little wind but light rain on & off all night. We set up camps & both of us had 2 rods out by 01:30.
Things may get a bit hazy now, but I'm sure Rob will correct me if I get confused. My first cast & I had a little 'tap' on rod, could of swore it was a dogfish type of bite. So wandered back to camp to prepare another bait. Rod was still 'tapping' when I returned so started to reel in. After retrieving about 20-30 yards of line this did not feel like a dogfish. Gave Rob a call & we soon had first ray of the session 4lb 4oz, quick photo & released back. Clipped on new baited trace & casted out. It was then I noticed my other rod tip bouncing about. Started to reel in & called Rob, my second ray now beached, bigger than the first 7lb 6oz again quick photo & released back.
It was Rob's turn now, he was calling me over, soon beached his first ray of the night ,about 5lb. I think we was both beginning to feel this could be something special so we didn't bother with photo just released it back.
I was now into my third ray again in 5lb class no photo as we were both keen to keep eye on rods to get that double figure ray.
It was getting hectic for me as I was now into my fourth ray but no double again in 5-6lb class. I wandered over to Rob for a chat. He told me about a bait he had put on one of his rods. I went back to camp to try to get a cup of tea when Rob shouted, he thought he was into something decent on his different bait. I waited at waters edge, caught a glimpse of her, she looked big, I made a grab for her, pulled her out of water. Took her to Rob's camp, he placed her on scales........13lb BANG ON :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:!!!!!!!! Took photo & released her back. We were both chuffed to bits but now could I get my double???
We both carried on catching rays about the 4-6lb mark. We where so busy we didn't notice other gents leave, we had whole beach to ourselves & was having good fun.
Rob beached another ray for me, he said it looked bigger, could it be my double, the one I'd been chasing this season for. We put it on Rob's scales, I held my breath........but the needle stopped at 9lb 6oz a new PB for me but not the double.
We finally packed up at 06:00. In 4 hours 30 minutes we had managed to beach 13 ray. 8 for me a PB, 5 for Rob, I also managed 3 dogfish & 1 'ting' (for Rob's cat).
Oh, forgot to mention when I was reeling in number 8, it got close to beach & shock leader knot gave in. As I was walking back up beach Rob shouted he had found my line & we hand lined ray in, talk about when your lucks in it's in !!!!!!!
It was a fantastic session & great company, look forward to catching up with you soon Rob.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
20140422_022020.jpg here's photo of my new PB

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20140422_031128.jpg Here's photo of Robs 13lb ray

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first ray of the session
20140422_020400.jpg

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thorn back 13 lb 002.jpg It was a good night Andy, most enjoyable !! and yes we will definitely be fishing together again, it makes such a change for me to able to fish with the likes of yourself and Steve, people who know what there doing and are on the ball.

Yes you have every thing correct, quite a bit to remember there lol

The 13 lb is my PB beached Ray, so well pleased with that.

We will have to try and get Steve out with us, I wonder if he has got his bucket ready ?? his going to need it now lol

Nice detailed report Andy, well done bud !!

Well i don't know about you ?? but I am going to have a little sleep now, the old boy is knackered and i'm not being rude lol

Catch up with you later Andy Oh and by the way, it was good meeting you !! great company.

Regards Rob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
20140422_042220.jpg Just another ray with my wonky headlight!!!!!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Ron, thanks. Your report was the reason we changed our mine, so thanks Ron for posting, keep it up m8.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Cracking fishing there boys, congratulations to the both of you.... PBs all round - fair play!

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Well done Andy and Rob. Great fishing, just what memories are made of!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I can sense your excitement Andy just reading your report. Now thats what I call a session..............8 for you and a few for your new found friend and PB`S all round ! You wont forget that in a hurry, well done.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers Keith, can't moan to much it was a very busy session. It would of been icing on the cake if could of bagged a double.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well done chaps on a red letter night, i'm sure you'll get a double soon. What was the successful bait or is it hush hush?

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Well done lads.....nice report and pics.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts