World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the weather is looking good
i have been highly restricted in when i can get out these last few years.
sat is looking good and the boat is up for anything
do i go offshore to explore some wrecks members have had mixed sucess on and find and search out others in the area?

or do i go really deep (25 miles+) to some wrecks i have long said i want to go there, but having not ever been there know diddly squat apart from the chart says big wreck

or do i go to my inshore wrecks and live bait them for bass? or bait them for bream? ( lord knows helpfull as it is this forum gets confusing)

tried the inshore fishing (beachy head) to night lovelly trip and nice only a few macky about but old spikey wasnt there and it was a dillema as to wether to eat them or use as bait. eating won!

advice please

greg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Best bet with Mackerel is to use them as live bait, if they die before getting taken by anything, swap them for another live one and eat them. Recycling at it's best :laugh:
Just what i'm planning!

Tides look great and weather may well give us some good boating sea's to explore all weekend

Good luck guys. Be safe:punk:

Will

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bass tides this weekend ................

no good for wrecking down this way .
it might be a quick tide but i dont know any big bass rough ground areas other than wrecks which we will whistle pass!
certainly to night the race off the head was bouncy (in no wind) but having been to portland it does'nt count

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Best bet with Mackerel is to use them as live bait, if they die before getting taken by anything, swap them for another live one and eat them. Recycling at it's best :laugh:
sorry paul but they were big maccky and the wife has missed her macky teas so they were important, caught them first drop so thought they may be the first of many but it didnt work out. all got recycled tho

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
just p.m. ed u buddy

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
We had a few cod on Monday Greg around high tide and again towards low on wrecks about 15-18 miles out but it was hard going. Skipper says next trip we will be anchoring up and bait fishing the wrecks that lure/summer fishing was coming to an end. We did get 7 bream 3 to 4.5 lb hard on the bottom on mackerel strip baits in 1.5 hours towards low water. Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hi Greg, massive tides the weekend so i wouldnt bother wrecking (maybe ok for an hr either side of high water tho).

If the seas nice maybe use the time to have a mooch around and find your new marks/wrecks?.

Even ground fishing in deep water will require a huge amount of lead to hold bottom.

Am sticking to rough ground at anchor in sub 100ft if i manage to get out this weekend. Rob

P.S should be plenty of Bream on the Sovereign Shoal by now, nice and local for you!!!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Greg, massive tides the weekend so i
P.S should be plenty of Bream on the Sovereign Shoal by now, nice and local for you!!!
rob
havnt fished the shoals for years, used to get some nice wrasse of there tho, they are not far from where i have been bream fishing recently, but they are all smallish, am getting greedy now and fancy a stonker. may spend some time exploring and fishing the high slack.

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
hi greg.....plenty of scad out there now...they do fight well on light tackle..thou not as tastey as bream...i have a few marks for them if you need to know some..are they as good as maccy pan fried with olives...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi greg.....plenty of scad out there now...they do fight well on light tackle..thou not as tastey as bream...i have a few marks for them if you need to know some..are they as good as maccy pan fried with olives...
did em with olives and onions last night! never tried scad they go to a mates portuguese wife who loves em
greg

·
THE TROLLING MAESTRO
8,649 Posts
did em with olives and onions last night! never tried scad they go to a mates portuguese wife who loves em
greg
hi can you actually eat them then..as i had some really big ones yesterday....are they boney..?

if you want a bream mark...would you travel to the west of brighton...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hi Greg
Its the decisions that are hard sometimes

The Bournemouth Air Festival is this weekend, so I will stick with the family theme and use my one day off over there.

Earlier this summer I pushed the miles to have a look at wrecks 25-30 miles out that I had wanted to try for ages, the numbers were from contacts and were good but I used smaller tides to maximise the time at anchor. and drifted in the middle of the tides.

These big tides we sometimes use to look for new numbers, I let the tide push us there have a good look around as the tide eases to fishing speed. then fish hard before letting the tide push us home.

IN My experiance best make a plan and stick to it, if you can, my worst days in good weather are when I try to do too many things in one trip.

Tight lines
Charlie

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi can you actually eat them then..as i had some really big ones yesterday....are they boney..?

HFW has 3 pages singing the praises of the things, apparently they are huge in japan!

if you want a bream mark...would you travel to the west of brighton...
a bit to far really, had a nice one on a mark 2 miles from the harbour recently so its proably a bit far

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IN My experiance best make a plan and stick to it, if you can, my worst days in good weather are when I try to do too many things in one trip.

Tight lines
Charlie[/QUOTE]

I think that is good advice and must make sure i take it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts