World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, can anyone give me some help here? Im on the last chance at a days fishing the missus will allow me, whilst on hols in penparc. Ive blanked at every other attempt, what else can i do to get me a bass? ive fished below the cliff hotel at gwbert at low water/rising, ive fished from the raisec gravel bar behind the patch campsite at high water/dropping, into the main channel. Ive tried running ledger, float, dexters wedge, fly..bait has been sandeel and rag. Ive tried gripper and normal leads, early morning and midday..All ive caught is crabs and weed. unfortunatley the only bait i can buy here is rag and frozen sandeel. please, please can anyone help me with info on a bass somewhere near here?? i need to tick bass of my species list and we go home on thurday!!! the wife has allowed me 1 two hour sesh before we leave .... thanks in advance, excuse the spelling etc typing it on a smartphone whilst hiding it from the wife!

·
Registered
83 Posts
:fishing1::fishing1:sandeel sandeel on bubble float 2 hrs before high till 1 hr after twilight is the best time ????:clap::clap:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried a float with a sandeel run through the main channel, the only saving grace was it kept the crabs at bay!
which location would you reccomend please? was going to try off the rocks at gwbert, under the cliff hotel again.. the wife has allowed me 3 hours until dark on wed night. (high tide is about 11.30). Ive got about 30 rag, i found 4 peelers today, and i have 2 life sandeels i bought off a kid with a net and bucket on the beach today ( paid 5 quid for his bucket with the 2 sandeels in, dont laugh).
oh well so going to blank again. Thanks for the advice, if anyone is prepared to offer anything else or a good venue that may help id really appreciate it,cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, you couldnt make it up if you tried! Not a knock for 3 hours, time to go in 20 mins, last bit of bait.
I hooked up my last full peeler blasted it out, laid the rod on a rock and started to pack up. The rod bent over and started to be pulled off the rock, sending me falling over rocks to grab it. Lifted into it expecting a letharic doggie on to have it nearly wrenched out of my hand and the reel start screaming. long story short, I did it!!
my first bass and not a schoolie, 11 pound 4 ounze!!! im kinda buzzing

·
Registered
169 Posts
I really wanted to give you some advice on this thread but couldn't tell you to do anything more than you were. I had my fingers crossed for you as you had clearly put the effort in. I hope your wife was pleased for you. Hopefully when she sees how happy it has made you she will encourage you to go more often.
Congratulations on the massive fish. Did you have it from the rocks at the bottom of the hotel? It has always had a reputation for big bass though they aren't caught very often.
Very pleased for you, please visit again.
Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was fron below the cliff yes. I had a beachcaster and my pike rod set up with running ledgers about 6 foot. 6oz plain lead on the beachcaster, 3 on the pike rod. 1/0 aberdeen on the pike rod fishing rag and sandeels at about 30 foot out. 5/0 circle on the beachcaster fishing peeler and whole joeys, at about 80 foot out. I also fished fly, 6 inch hometied sandeel imitations ( took a pollock of about a pound on this). high tide was midnight, i hooked the bass at 9pm ish, just as light started to fade.
There was a light chop and sunshine/showers.

I took the bass to eat as it was my 1st, suprisingly for its size it was male and had a gut full of launce, sandeel and a full mackerel. kinda odd as i didt have a sniff on my joey or sandeel baits.
im thinking the rain coloured the water and maybe forced it to hunt by scent when it found my peeler.

hope someone can put this info to use and have some luck too!

although i took this bass as it was my 1st please remember all, most big bass are breeding females...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.