World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went fishing last night with a mate of mine trying to catch some bass. And boy, did we catch em allright. This time we had, for a change, planned our venue and tide carefully and that paid of very well.
In two hours we caught 12 bass from shore, tossing our small shads ( colour didnt really matter, we caught them on orange, green and salt en pepper colored) in a very strong current. Often we were both drilling a bass at the same time, fighthing the tide as well as the current. We had an absolute blast.

Catching bass or not cathing them is definately all about the right spot. There was a guy fishing maybe 30 feet to the left of us the whole time. And he caught zip.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went fishing last night with a mate of mine trying to catch some bass. And boy, did we catch em allright. This time we had, for a change, planned our venue and tide carefully and that paid of very well.
In two hours we caught 12 bass from shore, tossing our small shads ( colour didnt really matter, we caught them on orange, green and salt en pepper colored) in a very strong current. Often we were both drilling a bass at the same time, fighthing the tide as well as the current. We had an absolute blast.

Catching bass or not cathing them is definately all about the right spot. There was a guy fishing maybe 30 feet to the left of us the whole time. And he caught zip.

Where abouts are you based Jax.
I know that they use those shads with great sucess over there.
:) :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the Min Landing Size in The Netherlands?

:unsure:
Allthough everyone here always claims that the min size is 35 centimeters, in truth there is no official min. size. :schmoll:

However, these were all around 40 centimeters (largest around 50 centimeters). I know it doesn't look like it, cause it made me think twice too when I saw the pic. The blade with the brown handle is 30 centimeters however.

Ps. They were alle caught near Hoek van Holland.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
good catch for sure Jax, keep the pics in, while they may look a little close to our mark, they're obviously legal in holland, and therefore no problem, the fact that the netherlands on the whole, as far as i'm aware, manage their fish stocks alot better than us, is shown in volumes in that pic !

B

·
0 Posts
Oh hear we go AGAIN!
Guy has a good day and the jealous start moaning about size limits!

15,082 Posts
The guy has already said there is no size limit for RSA in Holland.He also said the fish were around 40ml....What is it with this poxy site and all the ''Know it alls''that want to live here? It's about time all the people that want to condem what others do were kicked off before the rest off just give up with it and pack the site in.Every time someone posts fish pictures it kicks off,Im sick of the lot of it.If you dont like the pictures,go and play on Anglersnet or somehwere that there aren't any.
Talking of Holland,there is not actually an official size limit for anglers fishing in the UK.You can actually keep ANY size fish you choose.The mls size limits are for commercial landings!!
Ron

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
.You can actually keep ANY size fish you choose.The mls size limits are for commercial landings!!
Ron
think you may be wrong their mate check this out

Following a public consultation and lengthy delay - on the 10th August, Defra announced that the minimum landing size for bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) is to be increased.
From April 6, 2007, commercial fishermen and anglers will not be allowed to take bass any smaller than 40cm. The current limit is 36 cm (37.5cm in Cornwall and South Wales).

full story here> http://ukbass.com/downloads/news7.pdf

15,082 Posts
think you may be wrong their mate check this out

Following a public consultation and lengthy delay - on the 10th August, Defra announced that the minimum landing size for bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) is to be increased.
From April 6, 2007, commercial fishermen and anglers will not be allowed to take bass any smaller than 40cm. The current limit is 36 cm (37.5cm in Cornwall and South Wales).

full story here> http://ukbass.com/downloads/news7.pdf
Sorry,your way behind with the news!!....the increase was never implemented neither was it ever intended to be targeted at anglers and never will be unless the constitution is re written anyway....There has never,ever been any size landing limit on anglers!You are correct with the sizes being applicable to commercial landings in cornwall and south wales,this is a bye law and is being challenged as we speak.Everywhere else the landing size for COMMERCIALS is 36mls.

Ron

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Talking of Holland,there is not actually an official size limit for anglers fishing in the UK.You can actually keep ANY size fish you choose.The mls size limits are for commercial landings!!
Ron
Ron, not sure on the context but if you are talking about size limits here in the UK, then they apply to anybody (in UK or visiting), not just UK anglers or commercials, in the case of the Bass 36 cm at the mo.

So ANY angler should be putting back Bass under 36cm or any other fish under the legal 'keep' size!

15,082 Posts
Ron, not sure on the context but if you are talking about size limits here in the UK, then they apply to anybody, not just UK or commercials, in the case of the Bass 36 cm at the mo
Sorry mate they dont actually.People will have you believe they do but they dont!..There is NO limit for private anglers or people taking fish for no gain! The only exception would be if there was a local sea fisheries bye law.DEFRA would love to prosecute anglers but they know the case would thrown out of court because the rule is written with commercials in ALL wording,Absolutely no ruling on anglers whatsoever.That is why the likes of the NFSA have always had there own size limits because there was never ever anything for anglers.Even the NFSA is only a guideline and there is nothing in law.As for the commercials,there are very few species taken in UK waters that even they have a size limit for.Most fish were actually taken out of the list.The main ones Cod,Whiting Haddock,Bass yes.Most flatfish,apart from Plaice and sole,there is nothing at all.Take a look at the DEFRA site,you will be very surprised how few fish actually have any limit at all.Local SFC have introduced a few but even that is very regionalised and changes within a few miles of each county.

Ron

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
What is it with this poxy site and all the ''Know it alls''that want to live here? It's about time all the people that want to condem what others do were kicked off before the rest off just give up with it and pack the site in.Every time someone posts fish pictures it kicks off,Im sick of the lot of it.If you dont like the pictures,go and play on Anglersnet or somehwere that there aren't any.

Go Ron! Go!
Too right mate. but at the end of the day it's called democracy.

And what a result Jax.
Well done.
What sort of ground were you fishin over, rock, sand weedy etc?

B

·
0 Posts
Well I don't care what anyone else thinks:uhuh: but I would have taken those fish home with me......had I been lucky enough to catch them!

·
Registered
181 Posts
If they were under UK MLS (and I'm not sure if EU regs are uniform in other EU countries?), your contribution would be less than point zero..blah zero % of what is killed commercially as discards/illegal sales etc.

In the UK the MLS is still a meagre 36cm (almost 40cm except for some incompetent Minister).

Nice catch on spinning gear.
It's unfortunate that 'plate sized bass' are so popular especially as none of them will have had the chance to reproduce!
This is not sustainable.
(Avge size for maturity - females 40-45cm/5-8yrs; males 31-35cm/4-7yrs)

:g:
So Jax, takes a few fish home, he likes to eat them sell them so what.
Its not sustainable, rubbish.
Do you have any idea on the number of small bass about.
They are a bloody plague.
They should reduce the size limit to 20cm............
I am fed up about whinging idiots about bass.
They forcing every other fish away from the shore as they dont get a look in.
If you want to complain.
Simple.
Get on to those tralwers that take tons and tons of reproductive sized bass from the south west approaches every year.
:yucky: :yucky: :yucky:

15,082 Posts
Ron (and others) ..... I'm sorry you are so uninformed/misinformed.
You folks do a lot of damage with your limited and erroneous knowledge.

No wonder DEFRA and other organisations can interpret legislation any way they want ..... as if you'd know any different.

Inshore rules
UK bass legislation

The following information is taken from Bass: nursery areas and other conservation measures published by MAFF, now Defra in 1990, with additional legislation introduced in 1999.
Minimum landing sizes

Any bass landed, stored, sold, displayed or offered for sale, and taken from the waters surrounding the United Kingdom, must be at least 36cm in length as measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail fin. Any bass retained on board a vessel or transhipped must also exceed 36cm. These provisions apply to both commercial fishermen and anglers. Any bass below 36cm must be returned immediately to the sea.

The minimum landing size of 36cm applies to all bass taken from regions 2 and 3 of [European] Community waters, stretching from north of the Shetlands to Gibraltar. This requirement forms part of the European Community's technical measures for the conservation of fisheries resources (Council Regulation (EEC) No.3094/86 as amended by Council Regulation (EEC) No.4056/89).
[Note: higher size limits have been implemented locally by some Sea Fisheries Committees, for example 37.5cm in Cornwall.]

Ada
(SSFC)

aka 'Whinging Idiot'

Before people post on here I wish they would learn a little of what they are actually posting about.What you have posted concern's COMMERCIAL LANDINGS.How many more times do I have to explain?They have on there own choice added anglers into the wording.This is NOT LAWFUL AND NO CHARGES HAVE EVER NOR WILL BE LEVIED AGAINST AN ANGLER.
We had this discussion on the conservation forum last year.Members of K&ESFC were involved and admitted ther was NO JURISTICTION over anglers only commercial activities.As for taking advice from BASS,another numpty pressure group,if you want to believe everything they tell you then you really have lost it.
I have absolutely nothing else to say on it.Believe whatever you wish to believe,it makes no difference to me or the laws of the UK and the EU.
I feel sorry for the new people that come on this forum and indeed into the sport being led down the road by people who have absolutely no idea of what they are talking about.
Just for a little further information for you,did you know it is PERFECTLY LEGAL FOR A BEACH ANGLER OR COMMERCIAL NETTER UNLICENSED OR ANGLER/COMMERCIAL UNLICENSED FISHING FROM AN UNPOWERED VESSEL UNDER 10MTS TO SELL HIS CATCH WITHOUT ANY LICENCE?

Ron

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ron (and others) ..... I'm sorry you are so uninformed/misinformed.
You folks do a lot of damage with your limited and erroneous knowledge.

No wonder DEFRA and other organisations can interpret legislation any way they want ..... as if you'd know any different.

Inshore rules
UK bass legislation

The following information is taken from Bass: nursery areas and other conservation measures published by MAFF, now Defra in 1990, with additional legislation introduced in 1999.
Minimum landing sizes

Any bass landed, stored, sold, displayed or offered for sale, and taken from the waters surrounding the United Kingdom, must be at least 36cm in length as measured from the tip of the snout to the end of the tail fin. Any bass retained on board a vessel or transhipped must also exceed 36cm. These provisions apply to both commercial fishermen and anglers. Any bass below 36cm must be returned immediately to the sea.

The minimum landing size of 36cm applies to all bass taken from regions 2 and 3 of [European] Community waters, stretching from north of the Shetlands to Gibraltar. This requirement forms part of the European Community's technical measures for the conservation of fisheries resources (Council Regulation (EEC) No.3094/86 as amended by Council Regulation (EEC) No.4056/89).
[Note: higher size limits have been implemented locally by some Sea Fisheries Committees, for example 37.5cm in Cornwall.]

Ada
(SSFC)

aka 'Whinging Idiot'
And what do they do about it, not a lot when it comes to anglers.
They are taken undersize by many esp by some certain non english people.
As I said reduce the size limit to 20cm....
They are a plague.
Whats the point, in telling anglers what to do, when the trawlers take evrything that swims at times.
:yucky: :yucky:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
State that "the minimum landing size for bass in the SWSFC area is 38cm" & when they board you from their inflatable they check ALL fish caught, to ensure their bye laws are being enforced, & they give you a copy of their minimum landing sizes, & if you have anything undersize you get a ballocking for first offence, & your collar felt thereafter!:rtfm:
Cant fault it, I like to see them buzzing about keeps everybody on their toes!;)
blueskip

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
bloody hell! who gives a toss!
start your minimum size for bass threads or join in
on one of the others (ther 100,s)
has anyone said
NICE PIC! GOOD DAYS FISHING! GREAT TO HEAR FROM A DUTCHY???

Like has been said before leave it for the sanctamonios
bum liking festival on anglers net! leave this bloke alone

15,082 Posts
State that "the minimum landing size for bass in the SWSFC area is 38cm" & when they board you from their inflatable they check ALL fish caught, to ensure their bye laws are being enforced, & they give you a copy of their minimum landing sizes, & if you have anything undersize you get a ballocking for first offence, & your collar felt thereafter!:rtfm:
Cant fault it, I like to see them buzzing about keeps everybody on their toes!;)
blueskip
Blueskip,YOU are correct because it is a SWSFC byelaw.Not all SFC have byelaws related to the same species.We have landing limits for Bass ranging from 36 to 38mls depending on which area you are fishing/landing but only upto and inside 6 mile.SFC have NO juristiction outside of 6 miles.

Ron

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.