World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Not that this will probably come as much as a surprise to most people on here! Thought I'd post a quick trip report just to let people know though. Went down to Long Quarry Point on Saturday through the afternoon/early evening. Had plenty of mackeral on feathers fished deep, right near the bottom. Caught about 30 between the 6 of us that were down there, then packed it in as I didn't want to haul myself back up that cliff with a rucksack packed with mackeral!! :)

A mate who was fishing off Hope's Nose at the same time said that the place was crawling with them. Apparently the surface was really frothing. He said he could have caught literally hundreds, but thought discretion was the better part of valour and stuck to a dozen!! :clap3:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Nice one Kingfish. Hope for us up here in the north, then. I tried every lure I have a few days ago and not a sniff :(

What's Long Quarry like now? I haven't fished it for a long, long time but I had some great times there as a kid. What's the ground like off there?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fox, I like Long Quarry, mainly because the steep walk down means that it's usually nice and quiet down there! :) Great spot for a bit of fishing. Not sure what the bottom fishing is like as I've only really been there to fish for mackeral.

One of the guys who came out on Saturday has dived the area though and said that it's rocky with gulleys back towards Anstey's cove and then as you go out to see it turns to shingle/pebbles. He once saw a 50-60lb anglerfish over some shingle off Anstey's Cove whilst he was diving!!That said, I'm guessing by the number of pots you see there that there must be some rough ground just out from the ledge...

Looks like a cracking spot for shore conger though and with the amount of guts and heads that get chucked in, there must be some about! Hope the mackeral turn up soon for you guys!

·
Registered
241 Posts
What's Long Quarry like now? I haven't fished it for a long, long time but I had some great times there as a kid. What's the ground like off there?
The ground is fairly clean from about 30 yards out. I rarely loose any gear down there. As Kingfish says it turns up some strange fish at times. One of the last sessions I had down there I caught the smallest megrim, easily one of the smallest fish I've ever caught. Certainly throws up some good fish and as Kingfish pointed out no-one bothers with the place because its such a hassle to get to.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I like to drift along there in my boat and bounce a small lead with rag on a paternoster, get some stomping wrasse!!!:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like to drift along there in my boat and bounce a small lead with rag on a paternoster, get some stomping wrasse!!!:)
Too right Fox, I've had some fair sized ones off the shore there, biggest was around 5lb, this was without really trying. Also had a fair few of my PBs of various species down there! :)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Was thinking of offering it up as a venue for the Devon v Cornwall 5 meet, trouble is most of the lads are from the north coast.:bounce:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
You can even camp down there, a few tinnies, fresh macky on an open fire bliss:drunk:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nipped down to Hope's Nose last night and had a good few mackeral (about 25). That said, my girlfriend only caught some once she used my rod (keep it clean!). They appeared to show absolutely no interest in the reed and orange feathers she had been using up until that point! Never really experienced mackeral being that picky before...

What do you guys think about releasing mackeral? :g: I let a couple of absolutely tiny joeys go, however I had read that mackeral don't survive that well if released, so I tend to catch what I need, then stop fishing. :g:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think its best to avoid touching them, especially with dry hands. There were a couple of threads on the general discussion forum about this very thing. I think our hands take away the protective layer on their skin leaving them suseptible to diseases etc. Try a search on the topic.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I too have heard this, but my question is. how does anyone know for sure?????.. do they follow them round after they are let go.. i reckon as long as they are not sqeezed they should go back ok. just turn the hook upside down with long nose pliers as i do in the surf and off they go.. dont have to touch them anyway..

shaun

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
Fox, I like Long Quarry, mainly because the steep walk down means that it's usually nice and quiet down there! :) Great spot for a bit of fishing. Not sure what the bottom fishing is like as I've only really been there to fish for mackeral.

One of the guys who came out on Saturday has dived the area though and said that it's rocky with gulleys back towards Anstey's cove and then as you go out to see it turns to shingle/pebbles. He once saw a 50-60lb anglerfish over some shingle off Anstey's Cove whilst he was diving!!That said, I'm guessing by the number of pots you see there that there must be some rough ground just out from the ledge...

Looks like a cracking spot for shore conger though and with the amount of guts and heads that get chucked in, there must be some about! Hope the mackeral turn up soon for you guys!

funny you mention the anglerfish,me old man had a 45lb'er off there about 20 years ago:blink:

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I too have heard this, but my question is. how does anyone know for sure?????.. do they follow them round after they are let go.. i reckon as long as they are not sqeezed they should go back ok. just turn the hook upside down with long nose pliers as i do in the surf and off they go.. dont have to touch them anyway..

shaun
Ask Dinoboy about this, he has kept live mackerel in his bait tank on his boat and the ones handled develop like burn marks or something.:unsure:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got friends who do a lot of diving and they've said that when the mackeral are in and they've dived around Brixham, the area around the breakwater is often littered with dead mackeral by the hundred. Whether this is people chucking back dead, unwanted fish or 'releases' I don't know though... :uhuh:

That's a whacking great anglerfish blanker, was that from the shore?!?:blink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts