World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i plan to do a spot of plugging for the first time in a serious way this season,

i have a sellection of old carp rods to use which all though not as fast taper as i would like will have to do, i have coupled this with a small f/s reel and 20lb fireline.
my questions are;

Should i use a mono leader on the end of the braid?

is the 20lb fireline sutiable for this form of fishing, i could afford some new mono but not braid (bit skint at the mo)?

also where is the best spot for plugging with in 50 miles of the cornwall/devon border north or south.

tight lines crafty

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi mate your carp rods will be fine for plugging i know quite few people that use them.i dont tend to use a mono leader when fishing sub surface lures but when i am using topwater baits then i will put on 4-5 feet of mono leader.However this is only on clean ground i use mono straight through for rough ground which is what i mainly do because its alot cheaper to rplace as for venues i fish all around the trevone area however not sure how far this is from you.feel free to ask anymore questions Fly Caster:)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I always use a leader but that's just a personal preference.20lb braid will be fine to start out with.I fish plugs and fly around Padstow at the end of May every year and catch lots of bass mackeral flatties and pollack the easiest place to fish is around Daymer Bay early morning or late evening on a rising tide off the rocks.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that areas not to far out for a day out, i fished a mark at polzeath on saturday night. i like the look of the camel and the area around consintine/boobys bay looks great but i've never fished it much.

next time i'm about ill let you know fly caster.

anymore info/suggestion/views welcome of course.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ill keep an eye out for you:blink: .Have you ever caught there i think from your description your fishing on the corner of grenaway i fish of the boat the all summer but have never fishied from the shore there as i say i only shore plug from trevone but always have success there from the boat

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
never had much form there,one small bass a few years ago, but i'm going to give it a bit more of a go this year. so i'll let you know how i get on.

tight lines

1 - 8 of 8 Posts