World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

im off to Spain/France next week, the Saint Jean de luz/Biarritz area in France on a surf trip, whilst it is predominantly a surf science field trip with students i will be chucking my plugging gear in my board bag and im hoping for my first French lure caught bass!

anyone got any advice? i will be restricted to first light as we already have a pretty loaded schedual of industry/site visits, and probally cant be too picky with tides, im taking a selection of patchinkos and a handful of sg eels, ive still got time to purchase a few more lures if anyone can suggest anything?

Im also going to be spending three days in the Mundaka estury, but wasnt going to fish there as i cant seem to be able to fathom out the laws/licencing etc... for different parts of Spain, the Basque region seems to be a whole law onto itself? it seems no licence is required to fish from the shore in France though....

again any snippet of advice will be much appreciated! cheers Striker

P.s. i will also post this in the "international part of the forum" im sure theres a place for that somewhere cheers, i will let you know how i get on!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Looks quite fishy on google maps!

I don't know the area, although I did start out lure fishing on the West Coast of France a bit further North. The French guide I had fished much the same as we do in the UK with surface lures and SP's and we caught a mix of regular and stripey bass. I'd definitely give it a go if I was you.

Good luck!

Brett

·
Registered
567 Posts
I may have got this wrong, but I remember someone posting on the BASS forum I think it was about fishing in either Spain or Portugal, I can't remember which but would not risk fishing in either, I think you have to get a license from a hole in the wall machine, but need a Spanish/Portugese bank account to do so, the Police are pretty hot on it and just love tourists because they either give you a €500 cash fine, or confiscate all your gear. (probably to sell on later), the guy that posted had a Daiwa Saltiga confiscated along with his rod etc.

I would definitely do some research before fishing over there, especially if you have decent gear.

·
Banned
2,708 Posts
There is still no shore licence in France.

·
Registered
290 Posts
here's a good thread on France.

Thats incredible about the spanish licence thing, I've often fished from the shore there mostly the Med side. Luckily I never encountered the policia. Is this a regional thing or country wide?

·
Registered
290 Posts

Thats incredible about the spanish licence thing, I've often fished from the shore there mostly the Med side. Luckily I never encountered the policia. Is this a regional thing or country wide?
Apparently you can apply for a lisence here. Lisences for specific regions are recognised in other areas

Orden Ministerial 5160 de 26/2/99 (es la Orden que regula la pesca marítima de recreo, BOE 3/3/99), que en su disposición adicional 2ª dice:

DISPOSICIÓN ADICIONAL SEGUNDA. Reconocimiento de licencias.
Conforme a los Reales Decretos de transferencias en materia de pesca en aguas interiores, marisqueo y acuicultura, cada Comunidad Autónoma reconocerá las licencias de pesca marítima de recreo expedidas por las demás Comunidades Autónomas.
Full version: http://www.terra.es/personal/atuntuna/normas.htm

DECRETO 361/2003, de 22 de diciembre (BOJA)
Artículo 7. Validez de licencias expedidas por otras Administraciones.
1. Tendrán validez para el ejercicio de la pesca marítima de recreo en la Comunidad Autónoma de Andalucía, las licencias de pesca marítima recreativa de clases 1 y 2 otorgadas por los órganos competentes de la Administración de otras Comunidades Autónomas, las que pudieran ser emitidas para aguas exteriores por la Administración del Estado, así como las expedidas por otros Estados Miembros de la Unión Europea.

02/26/1999 5160 Ministerial Order (is the order regulating recreational sea fishing, BOE 03/03/1999), which additional provision 2nd says:

SECOND ADDITIONAL PROVISION. Recognition of licenses.
According to the Royal Decrees of transfers on inland fisheries, shellfish and aquaculture, each Autonomous Community recognize the license of recreational sea fishing issued by the other autonomous communities.
Full version: http://www.terra.es/personal/atuntuna/normas.htm

Decree 361/2003 of 22 December (BOJA)
Article 7. Validity of licenses issued by other administrations.
1. Shall be valid for the pursuit of recreational sea fishing in the Autonomous Community of Andalusia, the licensing of recreational sea fishing classes 1 and 2 issued by the competent organs of the administration of other regions, which may be issued to foreign waters by the State Administration as well as those issued by other Member States of the European Union.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks,

That's great info. I fish France but haven't done Spain yet.

Cheers J

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the replies! yeah spain is complicated, it seems like theyve got different police forces that inforce different things, was approached in the caneries once but they seemed more interested in wheather id caught anything or not!...

thanks again for the advice, i will be sure to let you know how i get on! cheers J

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all, to save a long story... i blanked! the visability was great, water temp 14.9C, surf perfect.... i should have known better as the sudents to do a rockyshore survey making up part of their coursework, the place is devoid of life and has been for years, no seaweeds, no muscles, no barnacles, no shrimps, no blennies, the odd anemonie... there was an oil spill back in 2003 and the locals blame this for the lack of life, the spearfishermen i bumped into all said the area is good for mullet, occasional bream, but you can forget Bass... so six or seven wasted sessions....although its never really wasted, cheers j

CNN.com - French inquiry into oil spill - Jan. 2, 2003

·
Registered
7,837 Posts

what i just deleted would start a war off all wars..:rtfm:
will topp m333's alltime post record.:cc_surren

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi all, to save a long story... i blanked! the visability was great, water temp 14.9C, surf perfect.... i should have known better as the sudents to do a rockyshore survey making up part of their coursework, the place is devoid of life and has been for years, no seaweeds, no muscles, no barnacles, no shrimps, no blennies, the odd anemonie... there was an oil spill back in 2003 and the locals blame this for the lack of life, the spearfishermen i bumped into all said the area is good for mullet, occasional bream, but you can forget Bass... so six or seven wasted sessions....although its never really wasted, cheers j

CNN.com - French inquiry into oil spill - Jan. 2, 2003
That's a huge shame, I was in Biscarosse last year. The place looked like it should be heaving with bass. I didn't fish much and caught nothing. I saw local anglers walking the beach with lure rods which I took as a good sign.
I wonder how much is down to the oil spill, or is it just a case of the locals have caught and eaten EVERYTHING. They like a bit of seafood down that way I believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts