World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have just bought our first plugs and can't wait to get out and give this new (to us) method a go this weekend. Any tips on good areas and techniques, tides, weather etc would be appreciated. I was thinking about the rocks between Swanpool and Maenporth nr Falmouth, as I live in Truro, but other any other good spots to start would be welcome. We have bought a couple of J13 Rapala's as everything I have read, along with the Ed Schelifke video reckon this to be the 'must have' plug.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had 8 bass earlier fishing of the rocks, I allways try and find a place with alot of weed and a clear bit to the side .
Then just try and fish the clear bit about two hours before high tide, useing this method Ive had about 80 good size bass within the last 2 weeks and it hasent mattered what time of the day Ive fished or what lures Ive used

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

The first plugging session was a mixed success. Having had a chat with a customer whilst in the tackle shop on Saturday, we were directed to a good plugging mark on the Roseland. It was blowing a hooley and so a strong sea was running. Loads of weed too and so the plugs has to be cleaned after almost every cast, but at least I did catch one very small bass - so small that it was not much bigger than the plug. Then disaster - my J13 cracked off on a cast, I can only think that the the 12lb line must have been damaged on the rocks. As a tight arsed Cornishman with short arms and deep pockest I was gutted. To make matters worse, my wife who is usually the one to loose kit was able to take the p**s for the rest of the weekend.

Moral of the story - We shall keep trying with our plugs - and attach a shock leader (even if the chap in the shop told me not to).

·
Registered
12 Posts
weed can be a problem when its windy and your useing a light lure, more than once Ive gone swimming to rescue a decent lure so I guess Im tight as well lol.
Lures work alot better when useing light gear but Ive lost a few big bass of rame useing to light so try to use braided line now but that as still been known to snap when you try to put the breaks on when you are runing out of line on the reel (theres some big ones out there)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swimming for it did occur to me, but the combination of 4' waves, strong wind and the distance, which meant I could not see it persuaded me against the idea. Still, I managed to pick up a couple of Yozuri Tobimaru's for £7 on Sunday so I'm back in business. I will investigate braid when I next re line one of my spools. Should I go for about 20lb?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's where I got them from. As you say, a lot of their gear is cheaper than the shops, although their stock of most things is sporadic.

·
Registered
185 Posts
True. One of my mates from school works in the fishing department and he tells me they are getting a big delivery off new stock in 2 weeks time. Ill let you know when its there as it goes really fast.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another less than successful plugging session - I lost two plugs . the mustad clip I was using came undone on one and the other hust cracked off. My wife caught a seagul on her popper, I'm not sure who was most agitated by the experience, her or the seagul, at least we were able to unhook it and send it on its's way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts