World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an article in the a recent edition of Sea Angler magazine, that said plugging was a technique for primarily catching schoolies, and that if one wanted to catch big bass bait fishing was required. What are your opinions on this?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the fact that he is on a boat compared to shore fishing making any difference?

·
Registered
454 Posts
ok, then. check out this "schoolie":whistling:whistling:whistling. taken from the shore......on surface lure.......yozuri mag popper 10cm, bronze. proof that you should not believe everything you read......or buy in a papershop !!!!:g::g:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I think it's tosh mate, those magazines are an unreliable source to build your knowledge from. One month it says one thing and the next month it says another!!

Just remember, there are more people fishing with bait than lures, and also these people are sometimes fishing at night. Lure fishing is generally undertaken with at least a little light. Thus, bait fishing has the advantage as is over a greater period of time and more opportunity to connect with a good fish.

Some whoppers have been caught on lure.

·
Registered
454 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, then. check out this "schoolie":whistling:whistling:whistling. taken from the shore......on surface lure.......yozuri mag popper 10cm, bronze. proof that you should not believe everything you read......or buy in a papershop !!!!:g::g:
I never said I believed it thats why I posted the question- nice fish

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sea Angler talking s****e as usual. Funny how they are all over bass angling now that it is getting more popular?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I prefer bait but remain open minded with regards to poppers etc

Round here I'd say 99 fish 8lb+ out of 100 fall to baits that would choke a cod

Wheras its more 50/50 for schoolies,

If truth be told I'd feel a lot more confident targeting big bass with bait but i fish seas which many would look at and say forget it, can you really spin and plug in those sort of seas? The bass don't come in unless the seas are in that sort of state

Just my two cents but I haven't really hve plugging a chance as the folk I've seen plugging only seem to catch schoolies which doesn't interest me at all

·
Registered
358 Posts
What a load of cobblers

Ask any big bass man who fishes bait and ask him what is the best bait foir big bass - he will invariably suggest livebaiting (sandeel, mackeral, pouting and pollack usually)

And what best represents livebait - a moving shuddering diving leaping artificial, live bait has limitations that lures overcome ( a live bait fishes downtide 90% of the time as an e.g., lures fish any which way you like), furthermore a livebait always fishes at a certain depth,, artificials are infinitely variable.

Bass will also become pre-occupied with brit, this is when the fly, plastics and small lures come into their own.

And finally, if you fish a static bait (on the bottom), you are only fishing one strata of the water column.

Sea Angler exists to sell copy, it is biased, dated and as fickle as a bitch on heat, always chasing the latest fad, tackle innovation or the product of the best advertising revenue client

Take any dvice from there with a pinch of salt

You've only got to look at what Graham, Mark and others have achieved to see that it is utter nonsense, a good plugger or fly guy can stand toe to toe with any bait bass fisherman, in many cases beating them!

BB

B

·
0 Posts
its true as far as my experiance goes but then i'm not the worlds best plugger, dont think ive had much over 6lb on plugs/lures but had quite a few near and into doubles on bait in the same areas, what i would say is that its easier to catch a big fish on bait.

·
Registered
194 Posts
To be honest, i have had bass on baits and plugs, and there is no better take off the surface, a plug seems to bring out the killer aggression of the bass, the take is second to non, and to be honest, any bass above 2lb off the surface is brilliant on light gear, keep plugging guys n girls.

Oh, and pollock and wrasse on artificials is equally as good

·
Registered
454 Posts
oh yes...........i just KNEW that gray22 would "rise" to the occasion and get a "plug" in for some of his luverly surface lure caught "schoolies".:clap2::clap2:
he's such an ugly plugger :hug:, but the fish look great !!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I might be wrong but I think the the artical was specific to fishing for bass on surf beaches, in which case whilst I am still not sure I fully agree, I can understand more why it said that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just going to try some lures for a change and i know colour of water,depth,tide etc has a lot to do with it but if i use clear/light coloured plugs with bright weather/clear water and darker plugs for overcast/coloured water will that give me the general idea of what i need to do.
Not looking for a huge in depth answer as i am sure to get mixed replies just a general rule of thumb is enough for this newbie.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 62 Posts