World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am about to start plugging for the first time .
I bought a 9ft spinning rod casting wt 15-40 grms and a baitcaster reel, I am having real probs with nests when I am casting I guess not enough weight on the plug to get rid of the excess line . so can you fish a plug with added weight and if so what is the rig setup thanks in advance AJD

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Pandabear,

What poundage line are you using?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
568 Posts
Don't add weight to the plug - they are designed to work properly without, so adding a weight will reduce the effectiveness of them.

Not sure what you mean by nests, but i suspect that your reel has to much line on it, or the line that is on is very twisted. Chop off 20 yards or so and try again would be my first idea.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Panda.
With lighter lures you do get extra spool travel with baitcaters.
They need to be tuned the same way you would with your multiplier.
With the reel in free spool adjust the setting so the lure begins to take line off the spool.If your baitcatser has fine magnetic tuning as well,back this off a touch. You can take more off as you become more confident with the cast.
Using braid of the same B.S. as the mono you are using will definately help but remember to clamp on the spool with your thumb as soon as the lure hits water.
I only use baitcasters with shorter rods(6-7 ft) when lure fishing for pike and cast
with more of a sideways "flick".The more speed you can get on the lure,the less chance of an overrun if the reel is set up right.

Hope this helps mate,
Terry F.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What a palava!there are lots of really good 20-30 quid fixed spool reels that will send your lures as far as the eye can see on 12lb line cast after cast,you can concentrate on working your lures and smoking fags!who needs the headache and anxiety of wondering wether or not your next cast is going to be the birdsnest from hell-hey,each to their own though-happy fishing,Scotty :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts