World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an enjoyable summer motoring around the Tamar, Tavy and Lynher in my new acquisition, a Linder 410 tinnie. It's not the fastest of boats by any means but it's
got me around taking in the scenery and I've landed a few fish on my travels.

Last week, the weather, tide and breeze were favourable, so I thought I'd take my first trip out to Plymouth breakwater. I had no bait but had a variety of lures and felt confident on catching a few mackerel that could be used as bait to attract something more interesting.

Having arrived at the east end of the breakwater, I allowed the light breeze to blow me away towards the Hoe in a SE direction. When I thought I'd drifted far enough, I started the engine, motored back and drifted again. So on and so forth until I had zig-zagged the whole length of that pile of granite blocks.

I had feathers out, rapalas, smaller metal lures that are apparently deadly on bass and mackerel. I had rubber imitation fish. I even put a squid jig down! Absolutely nothing, not even one bite or measly miniature pollack.
I did my trip a few days before all that nasty weather came in and turned the Tamar brown. Maybe the fish could sense the weather was about to change and buggered off to deeper water.

Any breakwater fishing tips will be gratefully appreciated (apart from mentioning the obvious, that I was fishing on the wrong side, hehe.)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've had an enjoyable summer motoring around the Tamar, Tavy and Lynher in my new acquisition, a Linder 410 tinnie. It's not the fastest of boats by any means but it's
got me around taking in the scenery and I've landed a few fish on my travels.

Last week, the weather, tide and breeze were favourable, so I thought I'd take my first trip out to Plymouth breakwater. I had no bait but had a variety of lures and felt confident on catching a few mackerel that could be used as bait to attract something more interesting.

Having arrived at the east end of the breakwater, I allowed the light breeze to blow me away towards the Hoe in a SE direction. When I thought I'd drifted far enough, I started the engine, motored back and drifted again. So on and so forth until I had zig-zagged the whole length of that pile of granite blocks.

I had feathers out, rapalas, smaller metal lures that are apparently deadly on bass and mackerel. I had rubber imitation fish. I even put a squid jig down! Absolutely nothing, not even one bite or measly miniature pollack.
I did my trip a few days before all that nasty weather came in and turned the Tamar brown. Maybe the fish could sense the weather was about to change and buggered off to deeper water.

Any breakwater fishing tips will be gratefully appreciated (apart from mentioning the obvious, that I was fishing on the wrong side, hehe.)
Mackerel, herring etc often turn up in the channel off the western end of the breakwater, usually on an ebb tide. If you go just a little further out you could troll in a zigzag over the Tinker reef, going with the tide. The standard inshore bass trolling area, again on an ebb tide, is across the shallow water just the seaward side of the Bridges, the four posts marking the channel to the west of Drake's Island. The water directly behind the island is shallow and very snaggy though. PH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mackerel, herring etc often turn up in the channel off the western end of the breakwater, usually on an ebb tide. If you go just a little further out you could troll in a zigzag over the Tinker reef, going with the tide. The standard inshore bass trolling area, again on an ebb tide, is across the shallow water just the seaward side of the Bridges, the four posts marking the channel to the west of Drake's Island. The water directly behind the island is shallow and very snaggy though. PH
Thanks for the tips Plaicehunter. I know the area you're referring to, I followed a yacht and went between those four posts on the way out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts