World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just having a butchers at the pmr reels, lots of bling but are they worth the 300 pounds asking price? Considering whats inside they do seem pretty expensive. Correct me if im wrong, just an opinion.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
:bicycle::fishing::bicycle:

Hi Steve,one of my mates had a 6500 Elite stripped and rebuilt with a centre mag,really nice looking and well built job,casts like a dream and very,very smooth,does some really nice stuff.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Frame £99

Centre Mag £25

Ceramic Bearings £15

Handle & star drag £25-30

Balanced matching spool £25-30

Stainless Crown Screws £15

Stainless depth gauge £5

So there is £219 without brake plate, gears and original side plates to fit. It is then all put together and tested before shipping.

I have 'Pimped' 3 of my reels using the parts supplied by Jamie at PMR and they are amazing. Look on Youtube and search Pimp my reels for lots of reviews and descriptions of the work he has done.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the cost of the pmr reel and the cost of the tg reels which is better? As far as i can see theres seems to be alot more value for money in the tg reels, lighter spool, machined end plates, drag washer decent ones, tourni spindle. I like the look of of pmr and wats added but i cant help but feel that its an abu with a centremag, cage and some nice colour schemes, forgot the go faster bearings. The spool is from a akios same as the handle and star drag.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The cages are £20 cheaper from Jay at Rhinopower or straight from Simon at Akios.
These frames are the Akios type but fitted for ABU, I do not know of anyone else as yet that supplies them, unless anyone else does, be good to know. I've emailed Jay through his site and also Facebook but never had a reply.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Looking at the cost of the pmr reel and the cost of the tg reels which is better? As far as i can see theres seems to be alot more value for money in the tg reels, lighter spool, machined end plates, drag washer decent ones, tourni spindle. I like the look of of pmr and wats added but i cant help but feel that its an abu with a centremag, cage and some nice colour schemes, forgot the go faster bearings. The spool is from a akios same as the handle and star drag.
Steve, I've read many of your posts before so know you have some good knowledge of fishing and gear. But I have to totally disagree with you on this one chap. The TG F1 and F2 reel are slightly tuned up abu 6500's, and at £350 a go they are a total waste of money. I've not seen Jamie selling a reel for £300 but guessing it would be a stunning reel if so. My advice is to have a chat to Jamie (I have his number if you like) and see what you can create together. The thing is, PMR(Jamie) can do you a superfast reel for next to nothing, it all depends what you want. You can't compare one of Jamie's reels to an F1, 7HT, Penn, Abu, etc as he uses them all just makes them run better than the manufacture does and look better too. I'm sure there's a few on here that can do a similar job, but I can only give an opinion on PMR. The reel I had cost under £200, its based on the akios 656 so already has better guts than a F1 or F2 with the brass gearing etc. Then add abec 9 ceramic bearings, custom speed bullet, tournament spool/spindle, custom cage now being upgraded to a one piece cage where akios kicks butt, centre mags both 10mm and 6mm plates (rare earth mags) for field and fishing, and a well balanced super smooth casting/fishing reel...that's very affordable!

All that for well under £200 or £350 for an F1/F2? - easy decision really!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks finrot, ive no doubt the pmr reels are good, ive had a tg reels which i did like, just nice to get another opinion on pmr reels and the specs available and if there value for money or not,

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Not for me... Just seen one on Ebay with a chopped Abu cage & glued up mag slider on the left side plate for £275. :eek:hmy:

It really isn't that difficult to bling your own reels up & believe me you can do it for an awful lot less than £275.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Not for me... Just seen one on Ebay with a chopped Abu cage & glued up mag slider on the left side plate for £275. :eek:hmy:

It really isn't that difficult to bling your own reels up & believe me you can do it for an awful lot less than £275.
I agree. Absolutely hate the Abu slidey, defo wouldn't want that sh**e left on there. As for the mods, I could do all that myself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
These frames are the Akios type but fitted for ABU, I do not know of anyone else as yet that supplies them, unless anyone else does, be good to know. I've emailed Jay through his site and also Facebook but never had a reply.
Getting confused with the Akios cages there, my mistake! On the subject of cages, for 1oo quid I would still rather get a British cage like one of TG's or a QTC.
The same goes for a tuned reel, if I was gonna spend £200+ I would much rather save a bit more and get a TG F2 because its engineered in England with about 99% British made parts so I'm told. Don't get me wrong though, the pmr Abu reels do look great but that still doesn't change the fact that they are ABU's, who we all know sold out years ago!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I agree. Absolutely hate the Abu slidey, defo wouldn't want that sh**e left on there. As for the mods, I could do all that myself.

I haven't a problem with the Abu slider mag, fine for fishing imo, not though as a redundant extra on a near £300 reel.

The practice of converting Abu slider mag plates to mono or centre mags is just a waste of a decent magged fishing reel set up. Use a side plate with no mag or slider ratchet fitted & you'll see a much tidier job. There's plenty of the appropriate side plates about after all.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Getting confused with the Akios cages there, my mistake! On the subject of cages, for 1oo quid I would still rather get a British cage like one of TG's or a QTC.
The same goes for a tuned reel, if I was gonna spend £200+ I would much rather save a bit more and get a TG F2 because its engineered in England with about 99% British made parts so I'm told. Don't get me wrong though, the pmr Abu reels do look great but that still doesn't change the fact that they are ABU's, who we all know sold out years ago!
The abu format of reels is the same as the tg range,yes they are made better materials,open up a tg reel and there isn't much in there that you haven't seen before..even the spool sizes are exactly the same..so abu didn't do such a bad job in the first place..in fact 2 big names splintered off and did there own thing so that's how the akios was born..and there's not a lot different from them either..

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think some people don't understand quite what Jamie does at PMR. Most of the time you would have an idea of what you want in a reel, parts, colours, mag control, bearings etc and Jamie will build you the reel to your spec weather its a penn, daiwa, abu or whatever. Sometimes he builds them and people let him down, often these are the reels on ebay or he try's new things out like his 4 bearing akios reels etc. That's why I said you can't compare his reels to any on the shelf as its actually your custom choice that he's built, based around the bits you believe are the best. Of course some people have ago at doing this themselves, some decent, many are butchers and make a hash of it (as I would be). The cost of a PMR reel depends entirely on what you ask to go into it and what those parts cost to buy. What you get is a reel totally unique to your own spec, unlike any off a production line. If you rate TGF2 parts, buy them and he will build your reel around it. Jamie's actual labour costs for doing the work are very cheap compared to others. He's a dam nice bloke to chat to and if you ever get an issue he will happily help. So you see, when you say I prefer this on an abu and that on a TGF2, well if it fits... why not bulid your own custom reel with Jamie? At least you know this way what's under the bonnet ;)

·
Registered
506 Posts
There's no doubt that Jamie at PMR does a good job, I enjoy watching his vids to see his work. I just wouldn't want any Abu parts on my reels any more. As someone said earlier, the formula/dimensions are very similar with other makes like TG and Akios but the latter two are made with higher quality parts. Also for me, having the opportunity to buy British such as TG is a bit special and makes me proud of my heritage, that's another reason I love Zziplex and Conoflex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts