World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently nosing around for polarised sunnies for low light conditions, Costa are largely the go to brand so I've had a look around for sunrise lens but not finding much this side of the Atlantic.

Was severely underwhelmed with my last pair of Costa's with 580G lens, honestly feel they didn't perform as well as my previous plastic lens Costa's.. any suggestions for alternatives?

·
Registered
375 Posts
A cheap but good set is the Mustad Hank Parker range. I've a few of these cheap plastics in various lenses and they work just fine for my UK fishing. I have Costa, Maui, Smith, Bolle, RayBan, Oakley, Serengetti.....in fact I might have a slight problem with collectng polarising sunglasses but then I am a flyfisherman really so it goes with the game.....or so I tell myself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worth having for a no nonsense cheep pair as a backup or your primary lens are the Leech Moonstone. I have a pair and they perform almost as good as my Costas. They really are great value for money

·
Registered
252 Posts
Worth having for a no nonsense cheep pair as a backup or your primary lens are the Leech Moonstone. I have a pair and they perform almost as good as my Costas. They really are great value for money
Review Henry Gilbey comments on his website on sunglasses

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look interesting, may give the dusk pair a go.. ! And stocked at CB&T..

Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Currently nosing around for polarised sunnies for low light conditions, Costa are largely the go to brand so I've had a look around for sunrise lens but not finding much this side of the Atlantic.

Was severely underwhelmed with my last pair of Costa's with 580G lens, honestly feel they didn't perform as well as my previous plastic lens Costa's.. any suggestions for alternatives?
Have always used Serangeti, which are photochromic (they darken in sun, lighten in dull conditions). Always been very pleased with them for that one reason.

In my experience, these days, polarised are polarised. Expense doesn’t make a jot of difference. I would never buy Costas because i don’t think they are better, and i think you are mostly paying for the name (and to sponsor fishing guides, boats, advertising hoardings, articles, etc.)

That said, i have just bought a pair of Montana yellow lensed polarised glasses, mainly for driving at night, to stop glare from LED headlights, which seem to almost fry my retina (old age or new stadium floodlight bulbs, ha!).
Going to give them a go in this low winter light and see how i get on with them.

Will try and get back with findings, but give Serengetis some thought? Bargains can usually be had on old model types at this time of year. Lens colour is limited, but they are still effective.
👍

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think when it comes to a lot of fishing things the details quite often don't matter or maybe less noticable..like switching rods or reels or braid. Yes there is certain things that I look forward to like the smoothness of a reel or the light crisp feel of a rod or that new braid..even noticing how some hooks feel more sticky sharp..these things though are all playing to secondary senses..using sunglasses in fishing is enhancing and adding on to one of our primary senses..when I put my costa sunglasses on I feel it. I've had a few pairs of various brands over the years but there is a big difference in how it makes me feel, I think they add happiness to my whole summer lure fishing experience. I let my mum try them on who is also short sighted and she was blown away by the clarity, the colours and the sharpness. I am interested to see what this thread brings in terms of more than just functionality as like I say I've had a few pairs of glasses that enable me to see in to the water and take the edge off the sun, but none add the colour and sharpness to my life like Costa's do. I'm not sponsored by this company but am really impressed with what they do.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Have always used Serangeti, which are photochromic (they darken in sun, lighten in dull conditions). Always been very pleased with them for that one reason.

In my experience, these days, polarised are polarised. Expense doesn’t make a jot of difference. I would never buy Costas because i don’t think they are better, and i think you are mostly paying for the name (and to sponsor fishing guides, boats, advertising hoardings, articles, etc.)

That said, i have just bought a pair of Montana yellow lensed polarised glasses, mainly for driving at night, to stop glare from LED headlights, which seem to almost fry my retina (old age or new stadium floodlight bulbs, ha!).
Going to give them a go in this low winter light and see how i get on with them.

Will try and get back with findings, but give Serengetis some thought? Bargains can usually be had on old model types at this time of year. Lens colour is limited, but they are still effective.
👍
Thanks for the heads up with Serengetis, lipslicker, not a brand I was previously aware of to be honest. I will keep looking and if I come across a pair billed as low light I'll give them a punt. Let us know how you get on with Montana's

I think when it comes to a lot of fishing things the details quite often don't matter or maybe less noticable..like switching rods or reels or braid. Yes there is certain things that I look forward to like the smoothness of a reel or the light crisp feel of a rod or that new braid..even noticing how some hooks feel more sticky sharp..these things though are all playing to secondary senses..using sunglasses in fishing is enhancing and adding on to one of our primary senses..when I put my costa sunglasses on I feel it. I've had a few pairs of various brands over the years but there is a big difference in how it makes me feel, I think they add happiness to my whole summer lure fishing experience. I let my mum try them on who is also short sighted and she was blown away by the clarity, the colours and the sharpness. I am interested to see what this thread brings in terms of more than just functionality as like I say I've had a few pairs of glasses that enable me to see in to the water and take the edge off the sun, but none add the colour and sharpness to my life like Costa's do. I'm not sponsored by this company but am really impressed with what they do.
Hey Matt, hope you're well.

Brilliant message, thank you for taking the time. Agreed, nice terminal tackle is great and all but doesnt make an angler any better just because, however, it's the things like decent polarised glasses that enhance abilities just by improving what we see through them.

Nothing more satisfying then sight fishing and catching a fish that you've spotted feeding or cruising..

My plastic Costa's are epic (Tuna Alleys), the tones and shades of green for example are phenomenal, I just don't get any enhancements with my glass Broadbills, same lens colour in copper but with a mirror finish.

What I suppose is slightly annoying was that in low light the plastic lens were dark and the glass were darker yet, to maximise the benefit, the glasses provide, you have to chop and change lens according to conditions that are forever changing...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
i always take 2 pairs with me : a yellow (smith) and a green dark for the sunny days (costa or older model , de charette jmc)
if the sky is shady or i'm fishing a wooded shore => smith !

some years ago , i had the "dark" on , I went up the river and arrived near the vegetation/trees , there was a submerged tree , I didn't notice anything in particular until I changed my glasses ! with the yellow ones, I immediately spotted 2 beautiful pike between the branches !!! i caught one 😁

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Sunnies cost me a fortune as I have probs with eye sensitivity to bright light, but need prescription glasses (biggest ball ache of getting older), plus polarised for fishing/riverkeeping. Optilabs make the best I've used, yellow for rivers/shade and driving at night, dark brown/grey for bright light and sun, and deep blue/mirrored blue for offshore. Problem is, that as your eyes deteriorate, you need new pairs every year at nearly a grand a pop, which I can't afford......

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
sorry, have to laugh at all this over priced bling you all fall for..........crazy money, do you really,honestly, believe you catch so many more bass because you are wearing hundreds of pounds worth of top brand named glasses?, do yourself a favour and save that money for the cost of going fishing more often and learning your marks.............but i guess if you are happy to pay those kind of prices the money is not an issue. I use £5 Aldi plastic polarised sunglasses, 100% uva and uvb protection , ok they usually only last a couple of years but if I lose them or sit on them and break them its only a fiver !
The reason I use sunglasses is to protect my eyes from uv, get wrid of glare and to be able to see follows or any submerged rocks in front of me I need to avoid.
Bass fishing does not need to be so expensive at all, I have one rod,one reel and use just the one £3 lure all season long, I do ok with 200+ bass a season..........last year I only lost 1 lure ,but thats down to knowing my marks.
Anyway ,good luck to you all this season, I'm sure you will look the part with your tenryu rod,van staal reel ,orvis waders and £300 + glasses

·
Registered
404 Posts
Costa have been bought out by Luxotta who own most of the main brands. There warranty is no longer lifetime and the web is full of tails of poor service. You can’t get prescription costas outside the USA any more I’ve just tried.
I love their 580g green mirror lense for the flats. I wouldn’t bother with their yellow lens. I have that too. The Maui Jim HT lens in super thin glass is a great low light option.
But if you’re not sightfishing and just bass fishing any polarised sunnies would do no?

if you don’t need RX you’re spoilt for choice.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thanks for the heads up with Serengetis, lipslicker, not a brand I was previously aware of to be honest. I will keep looking and if I come across a pair billed as low light I'll give them a punt. Let us know how you get on with Montana's

Hey Matt, hope you're well.

Brilliant message, thank you for taking the time. Agreed, nice terminal tackle is great and all but doesnt make an angler any better just because, however, it's the things like decent polarised glasses that enhance abilities just by improving what we see through them.

Nothing more satisfying then sight fishing and catching a fish that you've spotted feeding or cruising..

My plastic Costa's are epic (Tuna Alleys), the tones and shades of green for example are phenomenal, I just don't get any enhancements with my glass Broadbills, same lens colour in copper but with a mirror finish.

What I suppose is slightly annoying was that in low light the plastic lens were dark and the glass were darker yet, to maximise the benefit, the glasses provide, you have to chop and change lens according to conditions that are forever changing...
Before my latest set of Costas I foolishly let the sales person guide me on the type of lense to go for, purely from the point of view that Costa do have so much choice. So my first set were brilliant in bright sunlight but really bad in low light, I now have some silver mirrors with a much better amber lense, I think what Sergei says is spot on with having different pairs, although once the sun does go down a lot of the glare is reduced anyway so I'm generally alright without wearing them in the last/first minutes of light. Reading this thread is making me think that sometimes things might be labelled in to basic a category, purely from experience with sun glasses. If the glasses were redefined as colour enhancing/image sharpening as well as polarising and UV protective..it's a bit like photo shop for the eyes IMO. I do have a pair of cheap RX glasses too and am really happy with them..they do a job..stop me squinting and let me see in to the water..but that is it and maybe thats fine, but why would I want to make what I'm seeing look like a poorly shot home video.
My fishing is as much about the visual aspect and the south/east devon coast is breath taking, when I wear my cheap glasses I really do feel like I'm missing out..I'm dulling the scenery by choice if you like. Good luck finding a pair of glasses!

·
Registered
404 Posts
If you sightfish glasses are very important - my glasses cost more than my fly rod.
I prefer glass lenses for this as they have the best optical clarity. But there are some alternatives that come close these days.
If you need RX then your choice is very limited these days - in the Uk at least.
As a matter of principle I’ll avoid Luxottica brands which now includes smith and Costa - nothing to do with the glasses I just don’t like monopoly’s. They also own sunglass hut and much of the distribution chain.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry, have to laugh at all this over priced bling you all fall for..........crazy money, do you really,honestly, believe you catch so many more bass because you are wearing hundreds of pounds worth of top brand named glasses?, do yourself a favour and save that money for the cost of going fishing more often and learning your marks.............but i guess if you are happy to pay those kind of prices the money is not an issue. I use £5 Aldi plastic polarised sunglasses, 100% uva and uvb protection , ok they usually only last a couple of years but if I lose them or sit on them and break them its only a fiver !
The reason I use sunglasses is to protect my eyes from uv, get wrid of glare and to be able to see follows or any submerged rocks in front of me I need to avoid.
Bass fishing does not need to be so expensive at all, I have one rod,one reel and use just the one £3 lure all season long, I do ok with 200+ bass a season..........last year I only lost 1 lure ,but thats down to knowing my marks.
Anyway ,good luck to you all this season, I'm sure you will look the part with your tenryu rod,van staal reel ,orvis waders and £300 + glasses
I think I've found a new fishing hero to hang my hat on, please tell me more!!! :p

1 - 20 of 31 Posts