World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I want some for lure fishing, just wondered if you guys thought there was much difference in them. Are polarized sunglasses just that and all the same or can you can get better lenses and stuff? I dont care about them being stylish by the way :p. Just need them to be affective, any reccomendations?

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
If you're using them for both salt and freshwater fishing, don't be tempted to buy the green relective ones from Rapala.
In every other way, they are nice glasses but although blocking green light from reflected trees and bushes sounds like a good idea but in reality, all it means is that it makes anywhere with a tree canopy incredibly dark and you find yourself stumbleing arround and tripping over branches.

I used to buy glass lenses which were great for scratch resistance but they do tend to steam up much more easily than laminated plastic. The final decider though was the fact that I use a pushbike to get to a lot of my fishing spots and having already had one lot of eye surgery, I looked at what happens when a stone from the road hits glass and that kinda clinched it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm always breaking and scratching glasses so I just buy the brown lens Airflo glasses. Recently bought them on offer for £5 from Fishtec.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
have alook at glasgow angling web site you can get some eye level polarized sunglasses at a reasonable price from there

G

·
I have a pair of Mair Jims bought in the states for $160. They have been dropped, trodden on, sat on and buried in sand on the beach. There is not a mark on them. If you can afford a really good pair then get them. Just make sure you attach a neck strap sp you dont lose them.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
There is a difference between the lenses in £10 glasses and those in £100 glasses. Pays your money and takes your choice really. If you can see a fish there is a good chance of catching it so I think spending ££ on glasses is justified.

Shades of brown are the most common lense colour for fishing. Amber lenses let in more light so are good in low light conditions.

·
Registered
913 Posts
have alook at glasgow angling web site you can get some eye level polarized sunglasses at a reasonable price from there
PICKED UP A PaiR FROM SEATON OUTDOOR LEISURE FOR LESS THAN A TENNER THE OTHER DAY NICE TO???RRP £26.99

one thing to look for is lense coulor fluff chuckers rule of thumb is coulor to water blue water blue lenses it detracts th reflections better and lets you spot the fish easier not to sure on this but while i was trying out the shades i found the blue or grey lenses made better penetration of the water??
it might be me but lense coulor has a bearing on light reflection so try before you buy???
ps i know a few top fluff chuckers that have more than one pair of bins and different coulor lenses to so different light conditions may require a different coulor??? worth bearing in mind if still not sure see an optician???:thumbs:

·
Registered
491 Posts
I like dark grey for bright afternoons in the sun and amber for early mornings or post sundown fishing. Polycarbonate lenses are a must to avoid nasty injuries if a lure hits you in the face (its happened to me)

Pay for quality and you'll save your eyes, you've only got one pair and where would you be without them?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I like dark grey for bright afternoons in the sun and amber for early mornings or post sundown fishing. Polycarbonate lenses are a must to avoid nasty injuries if a lure hits you in the face (its happened to me)

Pay for quality and you'll save your eyes, you've only got one pair and where would you be without them?
ditto!!! and if you pop in opticians and ask advice is free and in some a mince pie test free?? its worth it cheapo sun bins can ruin your eysight?

·
Registered
514 Posts
just wondered if you guys thought there was much difference in them. Are polarized sunglasses just that and all the same or can you can get better lenses and stuff?
Looking through a pair of quality polarised glasses is a real eye-opener.
I used a pair of Optix Commorants for donkey's years, then bought a pair of Action Optics and they are a world apart.

You can get a good pair of shades for less than £20 nowadays and they will do for most fishing situations.

Up the budget to around £100 ( :eek:hmy: ) and there are some glasses around with stunning performance and absolute optical safety (100% UVA and UVB filters) in either polycarbonate or glass lenses. Poly is perhaps safer, but glass more scratch-resitant and (I think) more optically correct.

These will mostly originate in the USA or Oz where they take their eye care and fish-sighting seriously.

Makes to look out for are Maui Jim, Ocean Waves, Serengeti, Costa Del Mar, Action Optics and Oakley. Some of these brands top out at £250, but you can buy on-line from the states at around half-price.

Specs are an often over-looked piece of kit and in many cases can put fish on the bank, just as effectively as choosing the right lure.

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wore a couple of pairs of these for a while, until they went the way of all good shades :bye1: Thought they were great & not so shockingly priced.

Might help explain lens colours if anyone's interested:

http://www.solarbat.com/polarization.cfm

CP

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,889 Posts
Had loads of polaroid glasses over the years including Action Optics,Opterex Cormarents and Oakley etc.
My new ones that are TOTALLY streets ahead of anything that I have ever seen or tested before are the Maui Jims with the all important Brown lenses.
Worth every penny,what a difference they make.:eek:hmy:

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I will second that - I have used and abused most makes of polarised sunglasses, and nothing so far has come close to the Maui Jim ones. You get what you pay for.

The HCL Bronze lenses are my favourite out of the three lens colours, masses of models to choose from - the lightweight MJ Sports are worth every single penny, you will not know you are wearing them they are so light.

See here : http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_-1_10001_10101_10105_N_2_2_1_N

A personal favourite here : http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10231_-1_10105_10105_N__2_2_1#

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am in need of a decent pair and if I read it right the maui jims are available with prescription lenses which is great because without my bins I can't see the sea let alone the fish in it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a some MJ's and some Action Optics (glass photochromatic lenses) and the Action Optics are noticably better. What model Maui's are you guys using?

Interestingly a bunch of us were trying each others glasses last season on a bright sunny day. The consensus was Costa Del Mar were the best optically. Many of the bonefish guides I have used swear by them to. Only £200 a pop in the UK :crazy:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I will second that - I have used and abused most makes of polarised sunglasses, and nothing so far has come close to the Maui Jim ones. You get what you pay for.

The HCL Bronze lenses are my favourite out of the three lens colours, masses of models to choose from - the lightweight MJ Sports are worth every single penny, you will not know you are wearing them they are so light.

See here : http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_-1_10001_10101_10105_N_2_2_1_N

A personal favourite here : http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product3_10101_10001_10231_-1_10105_10105_N__2_2_1#
Henry,

I quite fancy getting a pair but wont have the option of trying before I buy so will use mail order.

By any chance, do you know which models would suit a wider head? As i dont want to buy a set and have them squeeze onto my head :)

I take a large in motorcycle helmets and stuff if that could help.

cheers

G

·

I have the MJ Sports and they are so light you often forget you have them on.

I have a some MJ's and some Action Optics (glass photochromatic lenses) and the Action Optics are noticably better. What model Maui's are you guys using?

Interestingly a bunch of us were trying each others glasses last season on a bright sunny day. The consensus was Costa Del Mar were the best optically. Many of the bonefish guides I have used swear by them to. Only £200 a pop in the UK :crazy:
We had a couple of pairs of the Costa Del Mars in the RNLI Auction that I ran. They were donated by the importer but only reached about £50 a pair! A couple of members got a real bargain:victory:. Perhaps I should have waited until this thread was posted:doh:

·
Registered
913 Posts
interesting bins there henry?
i agee with a few others here eyeware is an underrated piece of kit?
the chioce is vast and mindnumbing?
but i fully endorse there is a very important factor to take into concideration first?
if like me nearly 60 going 21 agian haha!! it is worth concidering these factors ?
with eyeware god granted you 2 eyes so look after them?
choose the best you can afford ensure comfort and to be honest as you have to pay for quality i think your best option is the opticians they all do eye ware they will tailor make it for you and if broken or damage can be replaced and repaired yes at costs but worth it?
if you buy eyeware of any kind if its not right it will cause sight problems in the future ?
so if you have apair that 1/ gives you headaches or "/feels uncorfortable after i while you can be damageing your eyesight?
so always be carefull what you buy and its always worth having an eye test most places do it free of charge and you will be advized professionaly to boot as i said you only have one pair of eyes look after them ?
best way proffesional eye care it cost but worth it?
hate to say this but highly recomend try before you buy?
no good sending off mail order and find they dont feel right?

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,889 Posts
The ones that I have are the Hookipa(cant spell it etc).
They are just so light-WONDERFUL

G

·
I hate sunnies, but see them as a necessary evil when working afloat and by the water. Up until a few years ago I'd get through sunnies every few months as they snapped, broke, scratched and so on.
Back then I had a bit more cash than I do now and eventually invested in a pair of Oakley Juliet Polarised Lens thingys with the amber tint.
They were something daft like £270, but I was going through a flash git stage and they fitted the bill.

Flash, designer bit aside I can honestly say thay they were the most amazingly comfy and incredibly soft on the eyes pare of shades I have ever worn.
They lasted until the other day and now they are bust. I stood on them at home and I am soooooo gutted.

Don't know, but I am hoping my home insurance will cover it....

As with everything, you do get what you pay for!

Tom

1 - 20 of 37 Posts