World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Mackerel strip, the silvery bit cut from the belly.
About 1 inch wide ,4inch long and cut to a point.
Hope it works bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The mackerel will work fine. Personally i would use sandeel, wind in slowly as this sometimes produces a fish.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
......and if floatfishing doesn't work, try a VERY slow retrieve of redgills across the top of the rough snaggy ground. This works a treat down in the only Pembrokeshire mark I fish, but it oughta work good elsewhere!

Only thing you have to suss is the correct retrieve speed to keep above the graunch! Just above that's the place to fish.

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
terry f. said:
Mackerel strip, the silvery bit cut from the belly.
About 1 inch wide ,4inch long and cut to a point.
Hope it works bud,
Terry F.
Agree 100% with terry f . I fished a float with a sliver of Mackerel belly cut to resemble a small fish, I had 5 Mackerel, a Saithe and 9 Pollock, Pictures in the Scotland section lol :D . If its Pollock you're after I'd set the dropper/hooklength a bit deeper than you would for Mackerel. Its great fun though, you'll never look back :) .

·
Banned
44,187 Posts
Just spent a week fishing for wrasse and pollack. No joy with mackerel but plenty of fish caught on rag using a single hook and 3 ssg shot on line. Slow retrieve had the pollack biting hard. Many others on harbour wall were float fishing with a lot less success.
Hope this helps. :)

G

·
Snaggletooth said:
Just spent a week fishing for wrasse and pollack. No joy with mackerel but plenty of fish caught on rag using a single hook and 3 ssg shot on line. Slow retrieve had the pollack biting hard. Many others on harbour wall were float fishing with a lot less success.
Hope this helps. :)
It does work, the mistake some people while float fishing is to retrieve to fast, I dont and as you have found out, fish on the retrieve!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts