World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, When fishing for pollack in waters around 50 feet what is the best form of tactics? Ive tried numerous lures and jellyworms but seem to be coming up little short of success. Are pollack mid water feeders or bottom feeders? Any advice whatsoever to help my catch rate shall be very much appreciated.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Unweighted “Shads” can be fished on a 6/0 hook and a longer trace. . Always put a swivel in the middle of longer traces which may extend to 12 feet or more as this will minimise line twists.

Lures such as Jelly worms can be fished on smaller hooks, though such hooks must still be strong and capable of withstanding the fierce head banging of an Pollack.

Jelly worms and various “Redgills” or “Eddystone Eels” all fish well, particularly on the smaller tides, when the extra wriggling movement they provide can tempt shy fish to feed.

or“Storm” artificial Sand Eels look particularly enticing.

They feed from either bottom or midway,,,,

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi, if you are fishing around fife, E.Scotland etc probably the easiest method and productive is as the Big man says, Ragworm
As these fish aren't monsters I would say use 8' of CLEAR 20lb line from a wIRE French Boom. Simply lower it to the bottom slowly and then reel up slowly then BANG as the Pollack hit it, make sure you have a decent clutch set on your reel.
Make sure that the Ragworm is presented straight not bunched up! You will soon start to notice patterns in the bites etc

Then when you start catching and getting bit more confident try swapping the Ragworm for a Black Jelly worm, 6" with Red tail. Try diifferent speeds etc, this teaches you the art of 'touch' and finesse, good luck!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Plenty of good advice in this thread: http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65784

Wight Huntress gave you the best end tackle advice. A long trace and as small a weight as conditions allow. That might be as light as 1oz on a slow drift as you are not fishing the bait hard on the bottom.

That pollack was caught off Fifeness last year. On that trip I used launce rather than ragworm. King rag just hooked through the head end with the rest hanging free is perhaps the top bait. Jelly worms have their day - particularly on a fast drift.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
could not give advise on your local bait <i use fresh sandand eel in cornwall> but everyone's advise is good but they have forgot to say that when the fish takes resist the temptation and don't strike , the fish will set the hook , just keep retrieving at the same rate. let the clutch do its job as the fish dives good luck

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks very much for all the replies folks, I shall take on board what you have all said and hopefully you shall be viewing pictures of my DOUBLER pollack very soon :thumbs::thumbs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts