World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to catch pollack all the time at the WATERFRONT in greenock but the catches seem to be dying down now. I caught one last nighr on frozen sandeel, any other baits to use during winter, Thanks Alot!!!

Craigy

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant to say last night sorry

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i use the body and throw the head and the tail where i am fishing

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i leger fish with a size 2 cod hook kinda thing

·
Registered
408 Posts
try some artificials, jellyworms and the berkley sandworms work well. Just slide a drilled bullet onto the trace above the hook and cast. Work the lure at different depths and speeds until you find the fish.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Some anglers down my way swear by mackerel strip and land some beauties during the winter months.

Jellyworms are a good idea as are dexter wedge lures fished close to the rough.

·
Registered
281 Posts
caught a 2 1/2 lb pollack with mackerel strip on a pennel ( long range ) in aberthaw on saturday. other baits didnt even get a bite

·
Registered
568 Posts
Spinning is the way to go (frozen sandeel or any artificial) but to increase your chances if you are fishing a standard static bait (sandeel/mackerel) on a paternoster then I suggest that you add a floaty bead or two trapped right down by the hook on your hook length. This will lift the bait right off the bottom where it will flutter enticingly in the tide and will certainly improve your pollack/mackerel/coalfish catch rates (but still won't be as good as spinning which is great fun on light tackle).

I don't normally go in for gimmicks, but the floaty beads are simply fantastic :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts