World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
sorry if this is a silly question but i know you can use mackys as bait but all im catching at mo are pollock, so i was wondering can these also be used in same way as bait?

T

·
0 Posts
Is that Pollock (North American name for Coalfish) or Pollack (our little blighters that get caught down here on the South Coast?

Pollock are a known food source for many pelagics like Shark etc so if you are planning on a session for them then yep, use it.
I would guess Pollack would work just as well.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
on St Agnes (Scillies) I found that fresh 8oz pollack were about 5 times more successful as a shore bait for strap conger than fresh mackerel.

Don't know why ; don't know if it was just for a few days or would be a permanent thing...at the two marks I tried it, or anywhere.

Also don't know if it is as true for baits that are (say) 18-24 hours old, but have been kept well ?

·
The Bean Counter
44,168 Posts
Rubbish bait for other pollack, wrasse macks etc. Had a small one deep hooked that expired on me so used it as bait. Not a bite but Rag etc was still catching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not into shark fishing, just general beach fishing, sounds like they can be used the same as mackeral strips,

will go down lo0cal pier now and get some for sunday.
thanks guys

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I use small (1lbish) Pollack that have blown as bait's for my skate fishing, they catch Commons no problem but as yet I've yet to catch anything else with them. Coalies (American Pollock) are just as good for the Skate but are also a very good Conger bait.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
The british record shore conger was caught on a fillet of one.

I would iimagine they would be just as good as any other fish (whiting, pout, poor cod etc.) as conger bait. I ahve had good results using whiting for conger recently.

T

·
0 Posts
not into shark fishing, just general beach fishing, sounds like they can be used the same as mackeral strips,

will go down lo0cal pier now and get some for sunday.
thanks guys
Dave

I would suggest absolutely the opposite.
Every positive reply has said it is great for big things with big teeth when used whole or in full fillets.
The only reply using it in small strips said it was useless.

Don't kill them for the sake of killing them. If you are fishing for mini species using strip baits then stick to mackeral or squid which has already been killed for the purpose of being used as bait.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave

I would suggest absolutely the opposite.
Every positive reply has said it is great for big things with big teeth when used whole or in full fillets.
The only reply using it in small strips said it was useless.

Don't kill them for the sake of killing them. If you are fishing for mini species using strip baits then stick to mackeral or squid which has already been killed for the purpose of being used as bait.

Tom
well tom, im not after things with teeth so will stick to usual baits as sand eel squid and mackeral.

thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
One thing of note is that the pollacks flesh is alot tougher than macky. This is usefull when congering as it will survive attacks from crabs and lobsters more. Apart from small conger, i have also taken huss and doggies on pollack fillet aswell as a couple of foul hooked lobsters!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Fillets out the freezer (forgot about one and it was a year + old) is useless. I've got a couple of heads and guts sitting in the bin outside from a session midweek and was thinking about congering tomorrow so may just hook one up rather than just using it as ground bait.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Pollack and other "white fish" won't have the oil you find in Mackerel, so possibly less attractive for some species?
Having said that I've used strips of whiting to good effect, catching other whiting and flatties on it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I've caught conger and huss on pollack in West Wales,and North Cornwall.

·
Registered
443 Posts
In my experience, ok for scavengers, but not so good for predators like Bass and Mackerel. Part of the attraction with mackerel is than in a strip (particularly belly) it stands out well and looks like a baitfish. Having said that, the other attraction - the oil trail, is not so prevalent with Pollack, which is what I would have thought was the attraction to the scavengers - perhaps Pollack give off a different scent that is equally or more attractive that we don't know about.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts