World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you actualy catch pollock in the north east?? Or just of boats? If not why not? or if you can whats the best type if tide, ground etc is it best to fish for them?? cheers

·
Registered
765 Posts
dont know of any marks in my area but if you travel further north to northumberland you will get them. fish rock marks, deep marks with plenty of kelp. flat sea is best. you get them at dunstanburgh castle but it may be a little early.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Can you actualy catch pollock in the north east?? Or just of boats? If not why not? or if you can whats the best type if tide, ground etc is it best to fish for them?? cheers
u need deep water m8t & thick kelp as said above:) i go up 2 eyemouth &
st,abbs 4 the pollack, best marks ive fished 4 them. infact we r going up on saturday morning 4 our first trip this year, nice reddies,wrasse & some stonking pollack:clap2:
had some nice wrasse to 5lb last year & i had a pollack just under 7lb taken on
fresh crab off the bottom.
deep spinning sandeels & jelly worms this year hopeing 2 better it:g:

G

·
Just to crash the thread, but point out a mini typo:

Pollock is actually the North American name for Coalfish which I believe you guys have to almost plague proportions in juvenile sizes.

NUFCO9 is actually referring to Pollack I assume?
These are the things that we have to plague proportions doon sooth on our mid channel wrecks.

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
you could go on checking my typo,s forever as i,m always slipping while typing.

i understand what your saying but i think everyone realises we are talking about the english version of pollock/pollack

so forgetting the american version, is it correct that the fish we get is correctly spelt......

pollack?

G

·
..Now I am confused! :blink: :kissing:

Coalfish = Pollock which you chaps up in the North East have in huge numbers, but tiddly sizes.

Pollack are the critters I catch in ridiculous numbers to relatively big sizes down here on mid channel wrecks.

Very rarely do I catch Pollock. In fact I have seen two in my life and both came within a week of each other from the same wreck.

Yep! That's sorted it!!!:clap3:

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
..Now I am confused! :blink: :kissing:

Coalfish = Pollock which you chaps up in the North East have in huge numbers, but tiddly sizes.

Pollack are the critters I catch in ridiculous numbers to relatively big sizes down here on mid channel wrecks.

Very rarely do I catch Pollock. In fact I have seen two in my life and both came within a week of each other from the same wreck.

Yep! That's sorted it!!!:clap3:

no we are catually talking about....pollack.... a fish we dont get very often up here. they are however quite common up near the scotish borders.

we never refer to coalfish as ...pollock.

G

·
no we are catually talking about....pollack.... a fish we dont get very often up here. they are however quite common up near the scotish borders.

we never refer to coalfish as ...pollock.
No we don't but North Americans do.

Tom

..... Have you seen the advert for Youngs fish?.....
"Wild Alaskan caught Pollock in a somethign or other sauce"

Basically it's coley.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes you can catch big pollack along the northeast coast. The one pictured below was taken from the boat, but it was well within casting range of the shore - near Flamborough, just a couple of miles north of Bridlington.
Look for deep kelp-filled gullies and try spinning with an artificial eel or a frozen sandeel just above the kelp. Use a small 1/2 ounce to 1oz drilled bullet to get the distance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cheers coddy, a little under two years ago fella. Just getting to that peak time again. May well have another cracke at them this year. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts