World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one used a 23/4 test carp rod when boating i could match this with a 7ht for fishing shads what do you think lads
cheers

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

I use my old 2 1/4 TC pike rods for pollacking.. superb fun with the jellie worms, but as dabcatcher has highlighted they are usualy rung for fixed spool reels not multipliers

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
iv compresed the blank its a well ringed close range rod so dont have problen with line rubbing on the blank

T

·
0 Posts
Makgas a 2 3/4lb test curve carp rod is the equivalent to a 13.75lb class rod.

Easily powerful enough for anything you'll hook while drifting a wreck.

You know me and light gear, I say go even lighter on the rod, but keep the braided line b/s to 12lb min.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers tom
im wrecking tommz and hopefully back out on sunday drifting dont know where yet though

T

·
0 Posts
Just a thought, but if the carp rod is designed for real close quarters stuff it is probably a very all through action.
This will absord the lunges of a diving fish quite nicely and should work well with braid. The only thing a "floppy" rod may have a problem with is using slightly larger leads. Anything more than 8oz may become uncomfortable to use.
If the rod has some backbone it may not be a problem, but remember the longer the rod the less effective it will be as a lever for cranking a lead back (fine for a running fish though).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you yhink that a diawa 7ht will be ok or do you think ill be better with something like penn 535

T

·
0 Posts
do you yhink that a diawa 7ht will be ok or do you think ill be better with something like penn 535
Either reel will work fine against a Cod, Pollack, Coalfish or Ling.

Not having the spec's in front of me I would say use which ever has the highest rate of retrieve.
Don't be fooled into thinking that is the one with the biggest ratio as it also depends on spool size. Go for the one that recovers the most centimetres of line per turn of the handle.

I promise a day working shads hard over a wreck can be exhausting and if a reel only takes 60 turns of the handle to come up 180 feet you will be laughing at the guy next door who's reel takes 90 turns.
That is why I use a Torium 16!

Tom

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Have a look at this;

eBay Item number: 330100223669

Cheap and i think it would be about perfect for light reef pollack. Personally i use the Fladen Solid c rods for pollack coupled with either a Shimano callisto or an Abu 5000 and 20lb braid.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
on that "don't rely entirely on the retrieve ratio - it also depends... " point

I once wound 20 turns of the handle from a Penn 535 (6:1) to a Boss 665 (6:1) when I wound it back onto the Penn it took 26 turns of that reel's handle to get it back.

TomBette, want an Avet JX8:1 ? I don't use it much and though you may not like it (too big and heavy compared with your favourite reels) I bet you'd find it intriguing (experiential, even LOL!)

yours if you want it. (quick now dash off to check I haven't let it rust to death in my spare room! )

T

·
0 Posts
on that "don't rely entirely on the retrieve ratio - it also depends... " point

I once wound 20 turns of the handle from a Penn 535 (6:1) to a Boss 665 (6:1) when I wound it back onto the Penn it took 26 turns of that reel's handle to get it back.

TomBette, want an Avet JX8:1 ? I don't use it much and though you may not like it (too big and heavy compared with your favourite reels) I bet you'd find it intriguing (experiential, even LOL!)

yours if you want it. (quick now dash off to check I haven't let it rust to death in my spare room! )
I have just parted with large amounts of money on some gear so the price would have to be exceptional Roger.
Trying to find details of the 8:1 on the net and can't.....
This is a slight cause for concern as I am wondering just how successful this reel was and was it the enormous retrieve ratio that was the reels downfall (lack of cranking power).

With a full spool, do you kow how much line comes in with each turn of the handle?

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts