World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know any ponds/rivers up here in the durham,tyne and wear,northumberland area that holds crayfish just got a trap and im wanting to get out and get a few

also getting my permit before i go so im covered :punk:

·
Registered
141 Posts
bellingham on the north tyne i got 1 in a minnow trap about 5 years ago have not had one again it was the native species not the signal crayfish try by the church and bridge.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have never heard of any Signal Crayfish in our local rivers and i hope we don,t get them.
They do a hell of a lot of damage to fisheries,they eat a lot of fish eggs amongst everything else they devour.
Get yourself over to Loch Ken,theres thousands of the red pests in there,they have ruined the fishing....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think there is a few up near Cramlington as suggested earlier but the main populations are south of Birmingham.

Unfortunately for us up here it is illegal to lay traps for them because the odds are that you will trap a native species and not a Signal. It is only legal in the south because it is riddled with them down there and you have a 99% (or similarly high percentage) chance of catching them.

Fortunately for us we can nip out and drop the bugger of the end of the pier and hope to catch a lobster or a crab instead :)

I found a site with all of the crayfish populations on it, i'll see if I can dig it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts