World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most surface lures mentioned seem the walk the WTD type or hybrids. Are they generally better than poppers
and , if useful, which ones. I have heard that the Tackle House Feed Popper should be reserved for tropical and not our bass. Is it true and does it apply also to the Daiwa Saltiga Popper and Pencil.
Thanks for any advice provided.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I tryed every popers out and limited results, gunfish is a good crossover between popers and walk the dog and boy do they work with flat and ruffish sea's. Lots of surface lures about and most work
20160810_174410.jpg
20160805_191947-1.jpg
this one works to but not sure what it's called.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tryed every popers out and limited results, gunfish is a good crossover between popers and walk the dog and boy do they work with flat and ruffish sea's. Lots of surface lures about and most work View attachment 559002 View attachment 559010 this one works to but not sure what it's called.
Hi thanks to your reply. The unknown lure looks like a Sammy or near copy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You'll still get a chug bug out there, the 11cm 28g when you catch it right goes well... I'd say there's been alot more doubles on chug bugs than on many modern day favourites...Yes they were once one of the only few surface lures and at a time when there was more double figure bass around but needless the bass still took it! Every year hear of good bass still taken on them... don't count them out

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll still get a chug bug out there, the 11cm 28g when you catch it right goes well... I'd say there's been alot more doubles on chug bugs than on many modern day favourites...Yes they were once one of the only few surface lures and at a time when there was more double figure bass around but needless the bass still took it! Every year hear of good bass still taken on them... don't count them out
That's good as I've loads of them picked up in the States for peanuts. Any colours particularly good?

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
That's good as I've loads of them picked up in the States for peanuts. Any colours particularly good?
Tennessee Shad is very highly thought of ;).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
They're generally all silver under belly ain't much difference between them. I agree that the Tennessee shad is supposed to be good but that is due to its silver and orange under belly

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Ref the pic its a seaspin pro q 120 in ACC, they cost about 12 quid, its a very good lure handles winds better than many

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Daft question but what's the best way to work a popper, I'm so used to WTD type lures that I can't get a good ryhtym with a popper ,cheers

·
Registered
734 Posts
Daft question but what's the best way to work a popper, I'm so used to WTD type lures that I can't get a good ryhtym with a popper ,cheers
I am not a big fan of a large cup faced popper ( not gunfish and those cross over type lures they rock ) but the times I have caught on them it was a case of pop pop pop then a big pause or 4-5 hard cranks on the reel then a big pause

·
Registered
261 Posts
Seaspin Pro Q in the picture, tell by the mullet pattern and blue eye...had more success with the blue/green transparent colour myself. Frosty in the 500G colour is a personal favourite of mine!

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,560 Posts
Saltiga sardine popper .....
DEADLY for big bass .....
Owe a huge dept , to the two I got given by the great guys on here .....
Heavier rod needed ....cast long long way ...get big pops in , and lots water spraying off the front ....
Even small bass of a pound nail it ....
What are the thinking ???

Gun fish best surface lure ever made , for me .....
But it's not a popper ....

This is the best popper ......

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,078 Posts
Saltiga sardine popper .....
DEADLY for big bass .....
Owe a huge dept , to the two I got given by the great guys on here .....
Heavier rod needed ....cast long long way ...get big pops in , and lots water spraying off the front ....
Even small bass of a pound nail it ....
What are the thinking ???

Gun fish best surface lure ever made , for me .....
But it's not a popper ....

This is the best popper ......
Always loved poppers but not tried the Saltiga one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts