World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although this happened in the South forum area, I am from Kent so have posted it here but Admins feel free to move it if you think appropriate.

The following is barely believable and I had to think long and hard before posting it because of potential haters and silly feedback but I swear to God it is 100% true.

I went out on 13th Sept on Al's spirit out of Weymouth skippered by Adrian Brown. I was fishing a comp with my work, 3 boats of 10.
As Adrian had said he had a good run of conger the previous week, I initially tackled up with a decent uptider a Slosh 30 and 50lb braid. I sent down a mackeral flapper on a big old pennel and immeadiatly got a good hook up.
Thinking I was into a conger I started to slowly pump it up but got bumped off half way up. On checking the business end I found it totally shreaded. Naturally I suspected it was the work of a conger.
My fellow competitors were fishing for bream at the time and doing well, so to get back in the game I decided to drop down a 3 hook paternoster using a fladden maximus im8 quiver tip a penn v55 bait caster lined with 10lb braid that I had set up as a sceond rod, ready to roll except for the rig. I baited up the 3 size 2 hooks with squid strips, dropped it over the side and amazingly managed to mouth hook and bring to the boat a 6 foot + portbeagle estimated by the skipper Adrian to go between 85 / 100lb. As it was a comp he was happy to give me the 85lb but said he thought it to be in excess of 100. Somehow I managed to get her right along side and touched my rig before she smashed me up. Although I didn't get a photo in tbe panic it was witnessed by 5 people fishing my side of the boat and Adrian.
While not massive in porbeagle terms, I think most would agree quite a feat on 10lb generic braid.

I can only assume I got her up as I thought I was into a conger and therefore eased her to the surface like I was handling a newborn baby not wanting to drop the conger which was worth 8 points to me in the comp.

She didn't seem to know she was hooked until I reached down to touch the trace. As you can imagine she then smashed me up in a second before majestically circling the boat for all to see and gracefully slipping back to the deep to fight another day.
Not supprisingly I spent the next hour buzzing but also shaking and being called all sorts of jammy B's by my fellow competitors.
I goes without saying that it won me the heaviest fish cup for the comp which was a bonus, but just to have engaged with such a beautiful creature was reward enough for me.

Ironically, the first thing I did when I got home was to buy myself a head video camera, I will probably never catch anything the of like it for the rest of my life, but hopefully next time I have something decent, I will get it on film.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Hiya Bloater,
I've no reason to doubt you mate so all i can say is your fellow competitors were right you're a "jammy barperson" :p:p
On a serious note that's some serious fish on light gear mate.
Well done.
Rick;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Bloater,
I've no reason to doubt you mate so all i can say is your fellow competitors were right you're a "jammy barperson" :p:p
On a serious note that's some serious fish on light gear mate.
Well done.
Rick;)
Cheers Rick

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
Quite believe it. I've found bigger fish of many species if played lightly hardly realise they are hooked and it tends to be when you try to unhook it all goes mental.
Through a rod it's quite hard to generate all that much pressure so gently does it and 10lb line will do quite a bit

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Said it on here many times, 10lb braid with good knots is extremely hard to break. You should be able to quite confidently fish 7lb drag which is more than enough to get porbeagles and even threshers to the boat, we've managed makos and hammerheads on that class which have taken our snapper baits.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Great story, catch of a lifetime that. Well done.

Tim R

1 - 18 of 18 Posts