World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never tried for these before but there are reasonable numbers of them spotted close to shore round this neck of the woods and it would seem a shame not to have a go.
What methods do you guys use? I know people use cod / pollack around 2kilos for bait and I've also heard of tying strings of mackerel together. I've heard of one fish being hooked just under the cliffs so I figure anchoring may be necessary.
Any advice welcome.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The way I do it, not necessarily the right way, for all my shark.

Find a spot where you have a constant tide run throught the tide, between an island and the mainland or between reefs or banks. Anchor up and then start with the rubby dubby, loads of it. As much blood and mashed fish as you can, keep it going into the water. The aim is to create a constant stream of smell but not to feed them too much. You need t have a slick of mashed fish oil and blood from the back of your boat as far as you can see. What you use as hook bait is up to you, I find a nice big mack good. It really is a waiting game as they have to be attracted to you by the trial you put in the water. What is vital is that there is no break in the trail.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Chris' comments about anchoring may be particularly valid given the area you've only partially described.

However the places I've fished - North and South Cornwall and the Isle of Wight the fishing has all been drift fishing, normally over structure. Unlike Blues you'll find Porbeagles around structure, including wrecks. And at places like Crackington Haven - before the commercial liners arrived - you could literally catch them just outside the reef in less than 30' of water.

So 'horses for courses' but you do need that rubby dubby trail. However I suspect that, whilst Porbeagles to a greater or lesser extent like all other sharks, are attracted by scent, they're probably also, and certainly more so than Blues, attracted by vibration and visual stimuli.

So some other observations. Based on my Isle of Wight trips the trail always used additionally to attract shoals of Mackerel. And you could have great fun catching them on light jigs UNTIL the sharks arrive. Then the Mackerel would bunch up tightly against the hull and not feed, but you would occasionally foul hook a shark. Not that on 6lb line you even 'wake them up'! They'd just hunt, 'figure of eighting' presumably waiting for one to 'break ranks' or act differently.

That really leads to the final point. Most anglers fish deadbaits under balloons and get them as far away from the boat as possible. (I'm sure they believe the fish is going to take their bait first before it encounters their mates offerings.) I've though had more success fishing a livebait just free-lined 30' under the hull. Somthing to to with a bunched up shoal and the one acting differently?

Every success.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts