World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
can you still fish for porbeagles and blues in the bristol channel, as i was told it is illegal too catch them, or is it illegal for the commercial boys too land them ?:bye1::bye1:

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
hi all
can you still fish for porbeagles and blues in the bristol channel, as i was told it is illegal too catch them, or is it illegal for the commercial boys too land them ?:bye1::bye1:
Hi Sandpiper

No problem fishing for Porgies or blues....... crack on and keep me updated on the success !!

Just....please, dont kill or shore land them :wiggle:

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
hi all
You can still play with them and let them go,the fluffy bunny brigade have stopped porgie steaks being on the menu.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes guys np
will update soon as

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I was gutted :whistling when a local long line boat was banned from landing another 100 breading female Porgies......one day on Lundy..

Zero kill rules...let the awesome species come back for SPORT !!

£1 PER POUND :roll1: What ever

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I was gutted :whistling when a local long line boat was banned from landing another 100 breading female Porgies......one day on Lundy..

Zero kill rules...let the awesome species come back for SPORT !!

£1 PER POUND :roll1: What ever
But, dont get me wrong, always happy to fish for the table, but somethings are tooo majestic and under threat, it would be 100% wrong...

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
im from South Wales and as a teenager worked as a deck hand on a charter boat "the Dolphin". Back then 1979/1988 there were loads of Porgies all the way up the channel to within 3 or 4 miles of Porthcawl and we had days with over a dozen landed and many more lost, then they became a target for commercials and from that point the speed in which they VANISHED was quite shocking, will they make a comeback ?dunno the other issue is the demise of strong stocks of mackies this end of the channel,we used to have plenty and now its pathetic, i had 4 from the shore last year.Nets, lines and a weak government have a lot to answer for.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi bassman
i remember having a lot of sport on them years ago too, the closest run too home was under the nash lighthouse 82lb, porgie surely the likes of oxwich and the gower still have good runs of mackie ? if so predators will follow?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I wouldn't presume to tell you about commercial fishing Ed, you know far more about it than I'm ever likely to. I guess the point of my comment was that to some of the less enlightened commercials anything that prevents them doing exactly as they like is resented and they trot out the "Bunny hugger" jibe like spoiled little kids.

As you suggest it's possible that they could end up being protected from anglers as well as commercial fishermen, it's already happened to great white sharks. But if it does happen I can already hear the accusations "It was the french / spanish / portuguese that caused it, definately not our good old british boats". The quote “No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible” could have been written for them.

Even when the longliners were working they only ever landed a tiny fraction of the total number of porbeagle sharks.

The vast majority were and still are caught as bycatch by hake netting boats.
These fish are still being caught - only now they are dumped back into the sea dead, as even bycatch is not allowed.

Sounds like a great result worth cheering ? :bangin:

If; as said the fish are known to be endangered, and they are also known to be spawning - then maybe people should ask yourselves about the morals behind fishing for them if you care for them so much ??

Inflicting suffering on endangered species for ones own pleasure will not wash with anti-groups ;)

Start pushing for protection too hard and they will be protected, fully, from anglers too :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Lets hope the Bunny huggers move on to a few more of our magnificent sporting species

Best of luck fishing for them

oz
Species such as what?????

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
All of the if it keeps the pesky netters away, or at least the ones that play at netting
:kissing: And to think i was going to buy you an easter egg,no sweeties for you now young man.

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
How about the four big sharks, smooth hound, tope, bass, mullet and Gilt Heads to start with? All true 'sport fish'!
smooth dogs,bass,mullet and gilthead bream=plenty of them around.Whatever next??? LSDS on a roach pole=top sportsfish!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if it is legal for me too catch a porgie or blue then catch one i will try!!!!!!!!!
regardless of morales!!! because its everymans right too fish and shoot!!! will post my results on here mid may watch this space

·
Registered
633 Posts
Where did I mention 'getting into bed with the greens'?
I read the question to mean 'what are sport fish' and not 'what fish should be protected'.
It is pretty obvious to most people (although not all), that certain species, if managed correctly, could be worth more to the economy as a 'sport' fish than a commercial catch.
It's a shame that some people are so short sighted!

·
Registered
633 Posts
.... but to see that; first you have to take off the blinkers of 'blind hatred' ;)[/QUOTE]

Hey, SS. Before you make remarks such as this, which I presume is aimed at me, please get your facts right. I do not have any particular axe to grind with properly regulated/sustainable commercial fishing. In fact, my father was a commercial fisherman for most of his life.

·
Registered
24,692 Posts
Just to cheer peeps up,i have an announcement to make= Lastnight
,i actually performed catch and release though it was legally enforced(cant stretch a bass from 30cm to 37.5cm) you will all be pleased to know theres a few schoolies swimming about that have been caught by myself and lived to tell the tale.:whistling

1 - 20 of 30 Posts