World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all , i posted a simmilar thread to this a few weeks ago but didnt get round to replying due to having to work away from home [i appoligise for that] but i'm back now and looking forward to some summer fishing . I am hopeing to fish for porbeagls out from bridlington and if anybody can recomend a book on fishing for them or has any intrest in this i look forward to your replys. just hoping for some calm seas and the mackeral in large numbers first.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Mmm 9 yrs old working away sounds like child labour.:g: :g:

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think the real question is how big is a 9 year old pollack? :g:

On a more seriously note what boat are you fishing from?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I think your being a little optimistic wanting to catch porgies out of Brid mate,you have a chance of tope,but only Dave Brown goes after them that Im aware of.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
sean

ther is porgies sighted every year of the holderness coast/brid/flamboro ares

all it takes is for someone to target them, and dave has told me they are on his hit list

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Sean,

We had a estimated 200lb porgee come up next to the boat some years ago when fishing for mackerel just off the Smithwick. It grabbed a mackerel on a young lad's rod. I took it off him for safety reasons and held for a break - got my knuckels severely wrapped in the process. I was fishing with on Ian Taylor's boat. I got a message from Ian that he'd had another fish do the same a year later in the same area. I've mentioned this to Dave Brown.

Also a small one was washed up recently on the Holderness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for that reply , thats just the sort of news you want to hear when your targeting a certain species . whats good about that report is that it was near the smithwick which is a lot closer to brid than whare the whitby boats are fishing for them , thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
phil
i will be using my own boat , i think it will give me alot more flexibility than using a charter even if that option would be easer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks mate , will take a look at that .i had a look at the last article mike thrussel did in the sea angler which was very good so that book might put me on the right track for tackleing up.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Kerry,

There's certainly tope in that area as well.

As mentioned Mike's book "First run shark" should be bought. I don't know if you are aware but Mike has had a 200lb porgee from his own boat. Also worth getting hold of is "Shark Angling in Great Britain" by Brigadier J L Caunter and "The Rubby-Dubby Trail" by Trevor Housby.

If you want to have nightmares about shark fishing get hold of a copy of "Maneater Man" by colin Thiele. It's the story of Alf Dean of Austalia and his captures of Great Whites.

They are all available on abebooks.co.uk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
phil,
i will have a look for them books ,just seen on the site the first mackeral ar showing out from whitby so maby not to long to wait .roll on the summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kerry,

I also have a boat at Brid, and intend to go for porgies and tope this summer. I have some experience with sharks abroad, but it would be more fun closer to home. Give me a shout when you're ready if you like, and we could combine the effort.

Adrian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Adrin
ye no prob , i,m hoping for some time off this summer to give it a good go .From what information ive picked up it seems the best time is when the mackeral are well shoaled up hopefully round the middle of july . Have you tried for the tope yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not yet, hope to start this summer. I agree that July seems the best time to start, but might just give it a few goes earlier.

Adrian.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi tope catcher ,bit grim on the tope last year but rar'in to go this summer with hopefully porges on the menue[not litrally] .ye off pike fishing next week but do'nt rate our chances but hay when you got a bait in the water theirs always a chance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi kerry,
Its certainly worth having a go for the porgies. ( I am Dave Morton BTW) We had five days for them out of Whitby last year and several were caught.

The tackle we used was as recomended by Mike Thrussel and it seemed to be more than adequate. The rods are reels were loaned by Penn to try and promote this kind of fishing here in the NE and unfortunately they had to be returned at the end of last year. There are two skippers at Whitby who would happily take you out and one in Hartlepool or if you plan to go it alone let me know and I will help with rigs etc. In fact if you need crew for a day with a full mobile shark catching kit let me know.

I plan to have a trip or three with Dave Brown this year and hopefully we can get some Porgies from brid. We did have one short trip from brid last summer whilst recording a programme for the bbc. we absolute bagged up on tope and unfortunately had to return at 11am as the guys from the BBC wanted to be in by 11am:cry: So they are well worth a try.

The porgies caught at whitby were at the end of June and late July but we have no idea as to how long the season is and I do know of a fish that was lost in late september. My thoughts are that they are in Scrabster in Nov/Dec/ jan and down south in the summer...where are they the rest of the time???? Perhaps loitering somewhere in the middle.:g:

An intresting point to note is that whilst sharking we had several tope runs and one was landed but they put up a poor fight on shark gear.

Cheers
dave

1 - 20 of 28 Posts