World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading away with the family for the May bank holiday and I wondered if it was worth me dusting off the spinning gear?

No idea what time of year this area fishes, but I have a rucksack full of spinning gear which hasn't seen the light of day since last year.

Under normal circumstances I'd take the whole tripod/beach caster set up but I'm not sure the misses would approve this time. Spinning rods however, no problem!

I have memories of crabbing and shrimping in this neck of the woods when I was a kid. Overton. Oxwich. Rhosilli. But never got around to fishing them (not that I would have known what to do back then either!).

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Slade the other side of Horton is good for spinning as is port eynon point.

Worth taking a big of bottom gear and seeing if you can get a few crab as the gulleys are great for bass..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Use soft or peeler crab in the gullies where gowerpower suggested fish Lw up, a good area for early bass and perfect time, we didn’t use to spin for them till June or the Mack appeared, no reason It won’t work the bass will be there,! Had good fish there April/may,

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Spinning gear can be used at dusk for plaice, bit of crab or worm lobbed out not too far in the fading light will produce some good plaice, try in front of the lifeboat slip ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Overton great place to fish, whether bottom or spinning , had some quality bass there over the years but beware the big rollers, can get a bit hairy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Overton great place to fish, whether bottom or spinning , had some quality bass there over the years but beware the big rollers, can get a bit hairy
Slade the other side of Horton is good for spinning as is port eynon point.

Worth taking a big of bottom gear and seeing if you can get a few crab as the gulleys are great for bass..
Always the chance of a bass spinning at the Port Eynon Point/ Overton area. Good luck to you.
Definitely take the lure gear.
OK, I'll dust it off and make some new traces. Are we talking fluorocarbon trace or wire as it looks proper rocky.

Any particular lures? I have black minnows, panic preys, feed shallows etc. Anything else?

·
Registered
136 Posts
OK, I'll dust it off and make some new traces. Are we talking fluorocarbon trace or wire as it looks proper rocky.

Any particular lures? I have black minnows, panic preys, feed shallows etc. Anything else?
Thats the lure ive had most takes on down there mate . That was last easter on the rocks on the left of the bay toward slade ,was great fun had 7 or 8 schoolies in an hr or so. Cheapy tronix lure but does the job ,fiish minow work just as good but be prepared to loose a few. Tight lines

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you fish Overton be very careful big drops and extremely harsh snaggy rock especially at low water, not a place to fish on your own if u haven’t been there for awhile, redgills with Bubble float or silver tobywork well, sas fitness training will help!!! NOTfor me any more taken too many tumbles there with the scars to prove it. There are hw spinning marks along there, fairly safe bit of a hike tho.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
taken too many tumbles there with the scars to prove it.
Do not fancy that. I've kept an eye on the weather. The wind is light, but the temp is also not as warm as I'd like. I'll give it a whirl and see how we go. May even try and get the old man out.

Thats the lure ive had most takes on down there mate . That was last easter on the rocks on the left of the bay toward slade ,was great fun had 7 or 8 schoolies in an hr or so. Cheapy tronix lure but does the job ,fiish minow work just as good but be prepared to loose a few. Tight lines
Thanks for this, I'll make sure I've gone through my lures. Were you fishing the flood or ebb?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts