World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Port Gaverne this morning in a fair gale using lug and rag, started off with a small Red Gurnard on lug.

After about an hour had a cracking bite and started to haul in what felt like a good fish. 20 yrds out my line went very fast right and headed into the rocks, maybe a Conger I thought!.

After a bit of struggle over the rocks I eventually retrieved just my 3 hook flapper, all twisted up with the snoods and crimps pulled to the bottom of the trace. ( Cheap Trago Mills job ) A minute later a big black head of a Seal appeared just in front of me with what looked like a big grin on his face.

He stayed around for the rest of my stay, the only other thing I caught was a red scorpion fish, guess he didn’t want that.:giveup:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
What's normally caught off Port gaverne rocks and what's the best bait.
I was on holiday down that way last year but didn't pack my rods.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hello there...I fish Gaverne from time to time and have nearly lost my rod on a couple of occasions to the seals. They know how to take your fish off the hooks - often snapping the traces in the process - but nearly pulling you in too if you are not expecting it. Wind 'em in fast. The up side is.......they only move in and do this when the 'bashing' starts in earnest...
cheers
Jim

·
Registered
189 Posts
A pair of seals 'helped' me fishing this evening..I was close to P.Gav ,they seem to come into shelter when its rough.I think they chased a 3oz pollack onto my hook.

·
Registered
190 Posts
A pair of seals 'helped' me fishing this evening..I was close to P.Gav ,they seem to come into shelter when its rough.I think they chased a 3oz pollack onto my hook.
living at port isaac u see aseal u may as well pack up head for home i have been fishine number times around the coast had number offfish seal around fish gone at the moment there are lot off mackerel in port isaac bay and the seal come like flies any won got a goood rifle with telescopic site that what they need have fun:clap3:

·
Registered
189 Posts
i've always found 12bore more effective if they come in close enough,seal blood sure draws in the fish.. lol

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
They're nearing the top of my most hated list!!
Been attacked by one in Newquay harbour.
Had them kill the fishing near Boscastle (That's my excuse :unsure: )
They've been responsible for false CG callouts (they sound like someone crying for help at the bottom of a cliff apparently)

All in all seals do my head in :) ... but only because I'm jealous of em :giveup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Once i was at a little cove just north of Boscastle when i came across a seal pup,i soon lost any dillusions i had about it being abandoned or injured.It was a most vicious little thing,made a nice hat and waistcoat after quite a struggle:clap2:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Theres no doubt that they are a pain in the arse, and obviously, your comments are all in jest, but leave the poor buggers alone. Theyve got as much right to be in the water as you, if not more. And if they have got the intellegence to not have to bother hunting, then good luck to them.
If i were an animal i would be a seal. just chill out and wait for the mugs on the rocks to bring your food to you!!! Would you bother hunting if you didnt have to?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts