World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after reading Alec's report about port logan i decided i would venture there to catch the first wrasse this season for my species list, havin been to cairnryan and blanked this seemed the best option,

The tide was perfect, 1 hour to high water, a couple boxes o rag, one mackeral and a selection of lures and some floats,

I set up float and set depth, first cast resulted in a nibble which i let progress to no avail, i changed hooks from 1/0 to size 4,
cast out, float went under and a strike resulted in a small pollock...'mon the wrasse!

next cast resuled in this little fella who was more than welcome to my species list

A little Blenny or shanny.....wots the difference?

Next cast resulted in a nice fight a pollock of 2lb

now it was time for the wrasse

3 small ballen wrasse and also....

This little corkwing came in at 10 ounces, i also had a smaller one,

A pollock of 3lb which provided some great sport crashing and diving, and...

this rather gold wrasse, my missiom accomplished, i got my ballen wrasse and 2 extra species, corkwing wrasse & blenny/shanny ( can someone clarify please), lost lots of fish due to snags, hey you got to be in it to win it!
and was late for my dinner, but it WAS worth it :clap2: even though it was peeing down

·
Coatbridge Angler
1,024 Posts
nice report mate and even if they are small ye still get a good wee scrap from them great picks and well done the list grows:clap3:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
its a shanny , an first pic of wrasse is a female corky as well as for the 10oz corky dont want to be cheeky but never that ! scottish record is only 6oz or so !

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a shanny , an first pic of wrasse is a female corky as well as for the 10oz corky dont want to be cheeky but never that ! scottish record is only 6oz or so !
its ok its not cheeky, the scales are there and look at the size of it its over 6inches long, record or not i thought about taking it, but for what ? :)

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
well done scott , a great wee session for you today.

al

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well done Scott :clap3: Some nice pictures there. I will need to get myself a wrasse, soon i hope.

Steven

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
624 Posts
cracking report and pics

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nice report and excellent pictures :clap2: Back over to MOG myself on Wednesday for 3 days but no fishing on this stint. My daughter is arriving from Sydney on Saturday for a holiday over here. We are gouing to show her the MOG area as she has never been there before,she is bound to like the place.

Back over again 24 Aug again for a 3 week stint - I will be fishing to the max on that one :yeah: Hope to meet up with a few of you guys then

John

·
Registered
461 Posts
well done mate.great report and great selection of fish.nice one:clap3::clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
851 Posts
as for the 10oz corky dont want to be cheeky but never that ! scottish record is only 6oz or so !
The Scottish record might only be 6oz. so what, does that mean that there are no Corkwings over that weight?....Rubbish, records are there to be broken, It certainly looks bigger than 6 inches, in the picture and if you weighed it as well.
Congratulations Scott, although you didn't kill it to claim it, I'd say you beat the Scottish record.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Well done. As the saying goes, "good things come to those who know when to change their hook sizes"
It must fish at all states of tide. When we were there all the fish were hooked within 1 hour of the tide turning and not a bite after that. We lost a lot of fish to the snags too, but that's all part of the game.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im just posting this to show what type of scales i have used and also i measured my hand along in the position where the wrasse was lying, as you can see the corky overhangs at the tail end, this fish is easely 7inches long and fat,

I will be buying a scale ruler for the future for good indication incase anyone has any doubts or queries, i didnt realise how big this acualy was for a corky, its a good job too with the excitment it might not of lived to swim another day,
I will be getting my scales checked for accuracey

these are the scales

·
Registered
851 Posts
Scott, there was no need to post pictures of you ruler or your scales....
it was easy to see from the first post how big it was, In my opinion you had nothing to prove...and apart from that you are a member of the Jedi SAC, so your words good enough for me.
Don't let anyone put you off posting anymore of your catch reports, by the quick way they criticise and belittle your catches.

G

·
Listen to mcool you had nothing at all to prove ...............well done on your catches :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

P.S I love reading your reports

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The Scottish record might only be 6oz. so what, does that mean that there are no Corkwings over that weight?....Rubbish, records are there to be broken, It certainly looks bigger than 6 inches, in the picture and if you weighed it as well.
Congratulations Scott, although you didn't kill it to claim it, I'd say you beat the Scottish record.
ohh here we go !:g: where in my post does it say there are no corkys bigger than that ?? ye records are there to be broken as i,ve done it with corkys and rock cook several times this year alone ! i gave my opinion on the pic of the fish and i,ll stand by it ,you also can only go by the picture and if your opinion is that its over the 6 oz then you are entitled to it also, so please dont try to rubbish my opinion or is it only jedi opinion that count anymore :bleh::bleh:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nice report and excellent pictures :clap2: Back over to MOG myself on Wednesday for 3 days but no fishing on this stint. My daughter is arriving from Sydney on Saturday for a holiday over here. We are gouing to show her the MOG area as she has never been there before,she is bound to like the place.

Back over again 24 Aug again for a 3 week stint - I will be fishing to the max on that one :yeah: Hope to meet up with a few of you guys then

John
aye right ur a fisherman ofcourse th e rods will b there

·
Registered
851 Posts
ohh here we go !:g: where in my post does it say there are no corkys bigger than that ?? ye records are there to be broken as i,ve done it with corkys and rock cook several times this year alone ! i gave my opinion on the pic of the fish and i,ll stand by it ,you also can only go by the picture and if your opinion is that its over the 6 oz then you are entitled to it also, so please dont try to rubbish my opinion or is it only jedi opinion that count anymore :bleh::bleh:
`I'm not trying to rubbish your opinion Guy, but it was the way you put it across, You said 10oz " never that" as if the man had reason to lie to everyone.... you said "the Scottish records only 6 oz or so " as if the record could never be broken....
Scottie now has placed another post, having to defend himself and his catch...
I wonder if Scott had killed the fish and claimed the record, how easier it would have been,....and how much rubbish he would have had to take for killing the fish....
It's no wonder that this forum is in the dumps, when good anglers like Scott puts a report in just for it to get rubbished, I wonder if he'll tell us what he catches next or will he be feared to post any pictures or reports.
P.S. its not just Jedi opinion that counts, I'll listen to anyone's, but remember there like ersholes everyone's got one.......

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
well done on yer new species :thumbs:

good catch and pics :clap:

ps.
Corkwing wrasse. i caught one along the east neuk coast one day while fishing with my son, (summer 07) that also would have beat the scottish record. so im sure someone will smash the scottish record if they wanted.

i to released the wee wrasse too fight another day.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im sure that records get beaten all the time unofficially especially now that most get returned, i think :)

I just like fishing with a passion that does my ladys head in, everyone here enjoys fishing lets keep it that way :)

Tight lines everyone

1 - 20 of 43 Posts