World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We arrived at the same mark as the last time around 8.45am. This time my girlfriend also came along..So it was Caitlin, myself and her uncle (I've been told not to call him that as it makes him feel old!)

This time we only had lures, mackerel and sand eel as bait - no lug or rag for the wrasse. Drew was first in with a Coalfish of around 1.4lb - knowing he had a fish on and not letting on he slyly suggested a pound for first fish! Chancer!

I had accidentally bought an Abu Match rod on ebay mistaking it for a beach caster- for lines 2-6LB! Decided not to let it go to waste and stuck it in close with a sand eel on to try for some wrasse. While setting up my bass rod to chuck out some savage gear sandeels i noticed the match rod was doubled over.. I ran over to it and after a bit of a struggle a decent Pollock just shy of 2lb appeared at the top of the water.. I had to lift this one out by hand just so that it didnt snap the rod!

Caitlin got a decent smack on a float set up and the fish took her straight to the rocks.. she thought she had a good pollock on.. only to be infuriated and made to laugh at the same time as she brought in a mackerel! Later on she was using a float fishing with sand eels and the float disappeared at some rate then the rod doubled over.. After a good fight she pulled up the biggest Pollock of the day and a personal best at 3.2 LB!

Over the day I had a decent pollock, my first ever Coalie (just under 2lb) and a couple of smaller pollock, no wrasse this time!

Drew somehow managed to catch a doggie on the float...Earlier on I had been freelining sandeel - when I went to retrieve I got snagged and snapped off. About 2 hours later Drew was reeling in the float to change bait when he felt the rod get a bit heavier.. I looked over and he lifted up a fairly decent sized doggie.. Attached to the end of the float was my snapped off line tangled on the hook! As soon as the doggie hit the rock, the tangle came undone - Not something you see every day! Who's fish was that then?!

Over the course of the day fishing was quite slow and tackle loss high, but we managed some smaller pollock, some decent pollock and some decent coalies and a doggie.

Now to get me to up to double figure species this year...

Pics..

Allan

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anybody have any Bass fishing tips? I'm off down to Sandhead for a competition next Saturday and haven't a clue what to do other than stick worm on a hook and wait!

Allan

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
Does anybody have any Bass fishing tips? I'm off down to Sandhead for a competition next Saturday and haven't a clue what to do other than stick worm on a hook and wait!

Allan

Good luck with that we tried all weekend and lots of marks and not see a single bass plenty of other species but not bass

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good luck with that we tried all weekend and lots of marks and not see a single bass plenty of other species but not bass
That doesn't sound promising! What species did you have?

Allan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts