World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Port Logan Species Hunt 7th & 8th August 2009:fish:

I’d been eyeing up the forecast earlier on in the week and thu/fri was looking quite good. The plan was for Laidonminnowbasher and myself to have one day at the Tope out of East Tarbert and another day on a species hunt out of Port Logan. Alas, alack and alay, The Bash couldn’t manage along. As Wednesday night came, the forecast had changed a bit making Fri/Sat a better combination. I had booked Dab Hand as my cabin boy for Saturday, so Friday was going to be a solo trip.:fish:

An early rise on Thursday saw me out digging raggies at 6am on a beautiful morning with only my trusty dog for company. After a day spent getting gear ready and greasing all that could be greased on the trailer, I set off down the road late on Thursday evening and arrived in the Port Logan Inn just in time to catch last orders and a welcomed Guinness. :fish:

I was up early on Friday and launched into a mirror calm sea. I’d a wee wander out to the tower at the harbour beforehand to see Pollack jumping clear of the water chasing sandeels into the shallows.
The Bash and I discovered a decent mark here by accident about a mile straight out of Port Logan harbour on a previous trip, so that was where I stopped first to see what was happening with the drift, arriving there almost bang on low water. I had one 12/20lb rod with 2/0 hokkais and my spinning rod kitted out with size 6 sabikis baited with tiny bits of ragworm. The sabikis outfished anything else all weekend and are always my no.1 choice when species hunting. :fish:

I started off with grey gurnard, pollack, red gurnard, a brace of 3lb cod (on the spinning rod and size 6 hooks remember!), tub gurnard, whiting and haddock – all from around about the same mark. It even threw up an octopus which I thankfully unhooked at the side of the boat. This was a good move as it promptly shat a load of ink down the side of the hull. God knows what that would have smelled like if it happened onboard?:fish:

After a spot of lunch I got back into the swing of things hitting dabs, a ling, plaice and mackerel. I headed across to the South side of Clanyard Bay and welcomed ballan and cuckoo wrasse aboard. A final couple of drifts back offshore resulted in a couple of LSDs and a poor cod coming in to give a total of 15 species for the day – plus the octopus! …………….. and a total of 85 fish!:fish:

I had counted over twenty boats around the bay at one point. Many of the accents on Channel 16 seemed to be from around the Middlesborough area, and were speaking in riddles (AB to CD, go to secret channel “X”!). The scanner soon found out where channel "X" was though.:fish:

Dinner on Friday night was spent with Daz the Happy Hooker and his boat wench over in The Clash. They were looking forward to a romantic wee cuddly poo in a pop-up tent at East Tarbert later on – even after both tucking into the onion rings like there was no tomorrow. I returned to the Port Logan Inn with my napper looking like a baleshia beacon with the sun and fell asleep dreaming of burdz!:fish:

Dab Hand arrived promptly at 0830 on Saturday morning and we headed out once again. The weather had blown up a bit from Friday, but not bad enough to stop us. I pretty much had a repeat of Friday’s bag with only a few exceptions - and the addition of a solitary coalie. I managed to bag several dabs on 3/0 pink hokkais. Don’t let anybody tell you about wee hooks, fresh peeler, 6lb snoods and a couple of coloured beads – get the 3/0 pink hokkais on! The dabs were particularly welcomed because it was the only species I had forgotten to photograph on Friday – and Daz wouldn’t believe I’d caught any!:fish:

Good bait, good company, good hunting- good trip. Good Night xxx:fish:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Species 16 ................

Nobody wants to see a pic of a mackeral, so here's Jack with a nice Ballan Wrasse instead!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
na i want the mackie pic :roll1:

very good read gordon , i only managed 3 species from the shore between oban & fort bill.
still a good weekend

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Good report as per norm Gordon. Did you get a fish supper in Stranraer, seeing as your tasty meal escaped via the keep net ?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Dinner on Friday night was spent with DaztheHappyHooker and his boat wench over in The Clash. They were looking forward to a romantic wee cuddly poo in a pop-up tent at East Tarbert later on – even after both tucking into the onion rings like there was no tomorrow.
There was no cuddly poo-ing going on I'll have you know, as soon as her head hit the pillow there was no way I was getting any sleep as she was snoring that loudly that the large red foghorn on the end of the mull was made redundant for the night as we just used my mrs LOL!!!

A cracking 2 days out ticketty, am gutted the weather was just a tad lumpy for me to go out of logan for species but we did manage 5 species for the day:

50 Mackeral
5 Pollack
10 Ballan Wrasse
2 Cuckoo Wrasse
2 Corkwing Wrasse

·
Registered
794 Posts
i seen u waiting on yer cabinboy sat.morn i fished just before the belltower for a cupl of hrs only managed 1 pollock on spinner so moved cos the laddie was getting bored

·
Registered
479 Posts
nice gurnards there ! after seeing the one grizzly got the other day I'm on a bit of a species hunt myself!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To be honest Guy, I can never remeber which is which - except on Etive when I can see the two side by side! Which one has the scales?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
To be honest Guy, I can never remeber which is which - except on Etive when I can see the two side by side! Which one has the scales?
a lot of folk say only poor cod scales come off but i,ve found both shed scales sometimes pout are darker ,best method i,ve found is to look at the positioning of the vent to the first dorsal , their nearly as bad as goby,s to tell appart !!any way still a species !!:victory:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Good report Gordon, it sounds like you had a decent couple of days......I wish I live closer to that area sometimes. Nice photies :thumbs:

·
Team Hardcore (Scotland)
688 Posts
Deffo a pouting. What a fantastic array of species there!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts