World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone in the know give me some advice please. I am thinking of buying my partner a portable fish finder or portable gps for when we go out in a boat fishing. I've been told that the Hawkeye FF3355P fish finder is my best option. Is this the case? :help:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hi Hollywood,

Why do you feel you need either? If you are looking at a portable GPS, what are you hoping to gain from it and the portable FF you mention just looks a bit gimmicky IMHO (sorry). Sure your partner would not get more enjoyment out off maybe a rod, reel or tackle which would provide longer lasting fun? :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
my mate just bought a fladen fish finder and to be honest i think it was a complete waste of money 70 bucks and not much good i cant see the point of it either

G

·
Hi hollywood,

what boat do you go out fishing in? The answer you give might make a difference to what people will advise you on.

As sand tiger said what do you think you will gain from either portable units?

I have a small inflatable dinghy that has a humminbird wide100 fishfinder on it and I use this to see how deep the water is and to try and find fish holding features. It very rarely shows fish but we catch loads.
I also have a slightly better garmin ff140 on our boat. That does show up a string of mackerel feathers but again I use it more to see features on the seabed and the depth of water I am fishing in.

I also have a garmin gps on the boat and that does exactly what it says on the tin. These are all fixed units though and my personal experience with portable fishfinders is you get what you pay for. I have no experience of portable gps units.

A friend of mine had a fishfinder on his boat and all he did was look at the screen, wait for a blip to appear then drop his line down (so I am told). He never caught anything :whistling

Malcolm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.