World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished a short session on Porthcawl pier (on the end) tonight from 5ish to 9ish.
Doggies doggies and guess what more doggies.
even a few double shots, lost count in the end.

If there were any better fish out there, they had no chance of getting to the bait before the dogs!

still can't really complain because if it wasn't for them I would probably have blanked, and when they come in 2 at a time they put a nice bend in the rod.

it seems like there are a lot more doggies around than I can ever remember.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i fished the wall in porthcawl tonight from about 8pm till 1am, had i fink it was 3 doggies and 2 whiting 1 whiting was a nice size weighed jus ova 1lb, the other 1 was small.

·
Registered
409 Posts
oooo ya guyz sum guy also told me that a 3lb bass waz taken from the wall yesterday night, looks like they are finally in porthcawl

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised the doggies left the bait long enough for a bass to pick it up, unless it landed straight on it's head.

Marcus I like that picture of the hippo you got that's a good 'un!

I don't mind catching doggies. Like I said sometimes they put up a good scrap with a bit of tide run. Better than blanking and good hectic fun when there's lot of 'em

Some people came on the pier to fish just before we left last night and said they hated doggies and everyone should kill 'em.
They went a little quiet when I mentioned that they would probably blank if not for doggies and killing them because they readily take most baits is is not a good reason. Even if the bait is cast out to target other species.

We left not long after that

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
with all the threads on here about returning fish I really can't understand the abhorence some people seem to feel for dogfish-OK they taste like s**t (I made the mistake of ordering "rock salmon" many years ago) and they don't put up a spectacular fight but hey it's a fish and a very welcome sight when you blank as often as I do

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
paid4tackledealersroller said:
with all the threads on here about returning fish I really can't understand the abhorence some people seem to feel for dogfish-OK they taste like s**t (I made the mistake of ordering "rock salmon" many years ago) and they don't put up a spectacular fight but hey it's a fish and a very welcome sight when you blank as often as I do
If you read the threads properly we were actually saying how we didn't mind catching dogfish. Cos like you said most of the time if not for them we would blank.
We were also expressing our anger at how OTHERS kill 'em for no other reason than them being dogfish.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Barrel,,
i dont think Paidfor was reffering to anyone on this forum,,i think he was agreeing with you about the yobs we come across sometimes when we're out fishing,,who,,when catching a dogfish,,stand on it to unhook it,,and throw em about the place..

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
hi guys cant see any problem catching them,im sure a lot of us would be fishless for months otherwise. took some younsters out last wk to mumbles some of them caught dogs,puts a big smile on a youngsters face whe they are yanking one of them in. they are also taught to return fish. lots of photos great fun.caught conger and gar last wk at arm cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts