World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Porthcawl peer today from 5am to midday.
didnt see much action on the incoming tide although the guy next to us caught 6 dog fish and a red gurnard which was about 2lb in weight and a beautifully coloured fish (If a little ugly). All taken on Mackerel
On the turn of the tide. I took my first fish (a 1lb bass) on a peeler and mackerel coctail.
my mate took a baby tope straight after on peeler the second one he's taken in a about a week. Marcus I believe you were there the last time, it was the night you caught the ray with barrel reef and valley boyo.
I then finished up the day with two nice sized whiting both taken on crab.
(All fish were returned to fight another day)

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Well done sir fishalot, you must have been fishing with Bio last time were you?

Seems to be a good few different species coming off there lately but as bobc said you gotta get through them dogs first

·
Registered
472 Posts
Guilty as charged
as to fishing with fishalot on the previous occasions.
I have heared of a couple of people fishing off the peer taking tope. Including myself(I think).
As to a definite identification of the species blue beared, I'm going on what the guys fishing with me the first time told me. Although I'm pretty sure it wasnt a smoothy.
If anyone has any links to any sites supporting species identification this would aid me alot.

G

·
bobc said:
yep sir phil same as your good self,this is a cracking site as is ours just like to add my pennys worth,
steve
Just like me, not afraid to speak up. Not a bad board is it.

We have to have a sesh at your second home soon, me with the float and beachcaster, and you with ...... a rod??

·
Registered
737 Posts
phil gonna fish ogmore tommorrow rod out for the rays and a floatie close in will let you know how i get on and dai if you read this we will be down the deeps about 6am

G

·
I am off Mumbles Pier tomorrow, hoping to have some fun with the mackerel and garfish on the float, and, with the Swansea Bay Trout on the beachcaster!

I have had my biggest Bass on the float at the deeps, the fish was over 25" long and was caught on a piece of sandeel no more than 1 1/2" long.

You might get some pollack close in as well, I have had them to over a pound no more than 6 feet out. The ledge I normally fish from is the one that is slightly raised above the main ledge. There is a little cove to your right, have some bass and pollack from there, as well as just dropping it over the side and letting the current take it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
phill fished ogmore sat morning got there about 6.30am all we caught on the ray rods was 2 baby tope but the flotie produced the goods 5 pollock upto a 1lb one conger about 5lb 1 schoolie and two blennys my m8 who has only reccently taken up fishing couldnt belive that you didnt have to cast to the horizon to catch fish set him up with a float and he then caught a couple as well.

G

·
That is waht I have always believed, fished off Mumbles Pier yesterday (saturday), the only fish I had was a Bass of about 3lb. Although, others around caught mackerel, garfish, woffits, tub gurnard.

That Bass of mine, caught on the float!

Yet another floaty convert!

·
Registered
737 Posts
no not a convert phill just desparation because it was that bad down there.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
me and mattrich fished off porthcawl lighthouse with handlines and floats..using prawn cocktail crisps as bait..we had 2 little bass,,and a small pollock...completley bizarre fishing..hahah..but a laff all the same :eek: :cool:

G

·
natmatlew said:
no not a convert phill just desparation because it was that bad down there.
Dammn, it is an alternative method of fishing in sea and, in my opinion, not used all that often. As you ahve found out, not all the fish are at the horizon, do not neglect under your feet for fish.

I caught a 6 1/2lb'er from Ogmore a couple of years ago, 1 hour to low tide, with about 3' of water in a pool with the float set at about 18" with a piece of sandeel no longer than 1 1/2" with a chemical light taped to my float, that fish was over 24" long

So it does work and I LURVE it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts