World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was by the sea cadet hut yesterday with my kids, just before high water a photographer from the s w echo was in front of us taking pic's of the waves coming over the fisherman on the breakwater whilst having a verbal rant about the idiots fishing off the end of the pier :bangin: I hope this is not going to come back and bite us on the a**. My concern is that with some bad press like this the council may ban fishing from end of the pier on safety grounds.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good point, as there have been problems and dangers in the past.

However, one positive point from many posts I read on here (I don't fish there myself) is that all the smell and rubbish will be cleaned after this weather!

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Was by the sea cadet hut yesterday with my kids, just before high water a photographer from the s w echo was in front of us taking pic's of the waves coming over the fisherman on the breakwater whilst having a verbal rant about the idiots fishing off the end of the pier :bangin: I hope this is not going to come back and bite us on the a**. My concern is that with some bad press like this the council may ban fishing from end of the pier on safety grounds.
taking pic's of the waves coming over the fisherman on the breakwater

got to ask..were the fishermen in danger of being washed off? if they were then the journo had reason...as would anyone else to have a rant about them being idiots...remember if they are washed off they will then also be risking the lives of rescuers...wether thats there friends, good samaritans or RNLI.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Good point, as there have been problems and dangers in the past.

However, one positive point from many posts I read on here (I don't fish there myself) is that all the smell and rubbish will be cleaned after this weather!
At least on land it would have been picked up at some point now it will wash up else where or worse kill some birds or some other creature that lives in the sea :bangin:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
fishing in these winds they were taking a bit of a risk (done it loads of times over the years myself) wouldnt bother now mind ,but the waves over the pier are just splashing over the top looks a lot worse than it is ,the really big risk is when walking back across the pier to get on or off it ,then the water off really big swells could be a real danger but be very carefull in weather like it is now best to stay away in these massive winds

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed he waited for a while until he got a few shots of the biggest waves coming over. No way would I risk fishing on there in that weather, I value my life more than that ! If the photo's are printed you will see what I mean, it didn't look too clever at the time.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
been there in some horendous conditions in the past and got to say it looks worse than it actually is out there when they crash over the wall big tides and winds mean big swells,if anyone does decide to have a bash get there 4 hours before high tide and expect to stay there until 4 hours after extremely dodgy inbetween these hours
regards gerwynmr2

·
Registered
285 Posts
as said above, it can look worse than it is from the shore.
The waves only come over in certain places and those in the know can stay safe ,but you have to wait till 4hrs after high to safely come back off there.Even then you need to time your walk back to avoid a soaking.
Probably a typical journo,just looking for a headline snap,with no real story to report!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
it only takes one rouge way to hit the end of the pier. its not only your life your risking; what about the people who have to come in and rescue you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As an ex Porthcawl resident Ive seen idiots trying to surf(who cant even stand up carrying their boards) & was also around when a fisherman was advised by a RNLI crew member that it was too dangerous to fish the pier. The fisherman replied with a torrent of abuse & then had to be rescued from the water by the same RNLI person & crew when a wave swept him in.
Sometimes its best to listen or even use your own brain!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts