World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was speaking to a friend , the local council are thinking of bringing in a basic fishing charge to fish the pier and wall at pothcawl.

THis is difficult to do leagally because firstly it is public access and it cannot be blocked off to have a gate but IF the area has some work done on the place, it is thought some kind of barrier may come into play and a nomnal charge if say£2 will be charged

Obviuosly some people , especially at night will do their best to get away with it, but in other schemes it has been found the extra bit of revenue raised , especially from those fishing at peak times , holiday makers etc will be enough to raise cash to pay for extra litter patrols which is what the council are worried about.

Legally this is the problem area, someone will probabaly challenge this saying they pay rates already to have the litter tidied up, local councils have countered this over the years by saying extra work is needed to clean up fishing bait packets etc.

If access to the fishing areas was like at mumbles they would have no problem in making a small charge, I know Clevedon Pier near Bristol charges but its very clean, there are regular patrols and anyone leaving the place in a mess apparently is warned.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello blue,
This could be a grey area for the council. In charging for use of a facility they would therefore become liable in the event of an accident. This could be your arguement if needed. Mumbles pier is falling apart and yet £3 per rod each day? Where does the money go?
let us know what happens with Porthcawl pier Blue keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bridgend Borough has been thinking of doing this for years, rumours abound.

Penarth Pier has had a lot of work done on it but its like clevedon pier, one entrance to a pier going out to sea, penarth dont charge, penarth sea angling club do their best to encourage anglers to take litter home, the odd rogue angler used to use the plastic seats for cutting up bait but generally its supposed to be ok down there.

Porthcawl is different, a breakwater running laterally along the sea, public access and only the pier is possibly able to be barricaded off.

I enjoy the sea, I would have no problem in paying for my kids and me to take a stroll along the pier as long as it wasnt more than a nominal charge, the same for fishing, £3 no problem, but as long as this is used to keep the place clean.

Now people will say why should I pay, others wont, we all know of irresponsible people.

But I pay my road tax, it annoys me that others dont and I ask sometimes where is this money going but its the same for anything, some will pay , some wont, if my mate who doesnt tax his car ends up in the papers for non payemt thats his problem.

But I feel this plan has been mentioned before and legally will be so difficult to enforce its probably just another rumour.

And the port talbot short and long arms have permits, some people still try and night fish(its for peoples safety this is not allowed), some still fish without( thus annoying those that pay , even though its too much).

And even here, there is still litter left, despite the permits !!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its lesuire and amenities or parks and recreation, they have often talked about banning fishing on there.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Well if thats true,,,then its dumb..

What the hell would be the point in that pier??

The lighthouse throws out about as much light as the glove box light of a 1974 Austin Maxi.

And once a year the Waverley stops there....

But for the rest of the year,,people are only allowed on the pier for 2 reason,either to look at the really small section on knackered railway tracks left there from years ago! or to commit suicide!?? :eek:

Councils should be lined up against a wall ,,and shot,,Because there decision making is bordering on the lines of Retarded!

if people make a concious effort to keep the place clean and tidy..Thenn the council would have no ammunition to press home these dumb ideas!

Like i said,ill get on the phone to herself's sister,,get her to ring around,,and see what the deal is.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Been on the phone doin some snooping

the wifes sister is on the council,,and she hasent heard anything about it,,she says its a load of rubbish,otherwise she would of heard about it..

case dismissed!

(for now)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If the council bring in a charge to fish off the pier, the local ratepayers have a right to expect the income generated, to exceed the operating costs, otherwise, unless it is incumbent on the local council to implement such a charge as a statutory function, (which it isn't),they can demand that the council stop wasting ratepayers contributions!
They may contest objections by saying that it is the interest of H&S, or that it represents public safety issues, or anti social behaviour issues. Could be they have had objections from people whose use of the public access way has been blocked by fishing rods, anglers etc, (this used to happen at Mumbles before they built Knab Rock) there used to be murders down there opposite "The George" on Big Tides in the winter.
I know we all slag the councils off, but they dont hold meetings just to spite us I'm sure. The current registration scheme at Knab Rock has everybody's interest at heart, its just that we feel they are poking their snouts in all the time.
If they do make a charge, & send the litter wardens out to clean up & shout at those chucking litter about, its got to be good for our image.
Mumbles Pier is a private concern, & so long as they conform to safety rules they can charge what they think is acceptable, if we dont agree we dont have to fish there!
I wish the Docks Board would do something about Swansea West Pier, thats a tip! & we are responsible! That would be something meaningful for our angling "politicians" to get their teeth into! What about getting a West Pier Angling Club started, & "members only" could fish it, put a "swipe card" barrier across the pier, & when you pay for your permit you get a swipe card, job done! Come on you keep on telling me how "influential" your organisations are, impress me, just ONCE!
blueskip

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
hi blue beard, they charge 1.25 for 4 hours fishing at llandudno pier,money go,s on repairs after storm damage.shaggy

·
Registered
38 Posts
We pay an annual fee of £10 to fish on Newlyn pier and it's well worth it as it is brightly lit.

Used to fish for hours on Porthcawl pier in the late 1960s!

Ericcarney

·
Registered
38 Posts
Didn't realise it was 10 years old - was looking online for Porthcawl Sea Angling Association to see if it was still going - I was a member 1966-1969 when we lived in Porthcawl..Len Thyssen was the Chairman in those days & we used to go all over South Wales fishing competitions on Sundays. Anyone else remember those days? Coach driver was called Bill & he used to be on the inshore lifeboat, others I remember were Keith Johns, Terry Haggerty, Ken White, Stan ?, Terry Swanbury etc.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Good morning Eric Carney,

As far as I can remember, I succeeded Len Thissen as Chairman of the P.S.A.A. circa 1969 into the 1970,s. Unfortunately, as far as I have been able to discern, the club was closed down several years ago, and the Sportsmens Club taken over by a different management. I think the only link to the original P.S.A.A.are the freshwater lakes under the auspices of the Porthcawl Angling Association. I have included a link which sheds some light on the demise of the P.S.A.A. If you haven't paid a visit to Porthcawl for several decades, ther have been a lot of alterations to the place some good, some not so good, the latest being the revamp of the harbour and its conversion to a "proper" marina. There are further plans to bring Porthcawl into the 21st century but as always it comes down o availability of funds. The fishing is perceived as not as good as the old days, but it is the same old story, if you have done your homework a la marks, you will fair better than most.

link: http://www.porthcawl-angling-association.co.uk/

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek Townsend
)

S

·
0 Posts
Anyone else remember those days? Coach driver was called Bill & he used to be on the inshore lifeboat, others I remember were Keith Johns, Terry Haggerty, Ken White, Stan ?, Terry Swanbury etc.[/QUOTE]

Eric,

Would one of the Terry's have been an electrician and Ken Whites nickname "******"?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Good afternoon Bill (springwell),

This reference to the P.S.A.A. is testing my memory big time! Terry Haggerty, is still around I think and has probably retired by now. Again as far as I know, Keith John is still going and he must be close to or in his 80's by now. Need a good photograph of the other members mentioned to spark recognition.

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was speaking to a friend , the local council are thinking of bringing in a basic fishing charge to fish the pier and wall at pothcawl.

THis is difficult to do leagally because firstly it is public access and it cannot be blocked off to have a gate but IF the area has some work done on the place, it is thought some kind of barrier may come into play and a nomnal charge if say£2 will be charged

Obviuosly some people , especially at night will do their best to get away with it, but in other schemes it has been found the extra bit of revenue raised , especially from those fishing at peak times , holiday makers etc will be enough to raise cash to pay for extra litter patrols which is what the council are worried about.

Legally this is the problem area, someone will probabaly challenge this saying they pay rates already to have the litter tidied up, local councils have countered this over the years by saying extra work is needed to clean up fishing bait packets etc.

If access to the fishing areas was like at mumbles they would have no problem in making a small charge, I know Clevedon Pier near Bristol charges but its very clean, there are regular patrols and anyone leaving the place in a mess apparently is warned.
hi mate will you keep me informed about porthcawl pier because i got a caravan in porthcawl and fish the pier very often

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good morning Eric Carney,

As far as I can remember, I succeeded Len Thissen as Chairman of the P.S.A.A. circa 1969 into the 1970,s. Unfortunately, as far as I have been able to discern, the club was closed down several years ago, and the Sportsmens Club taken over by a different management. I think the only link to the original P.S.A.A.are the freshwater lakes under the auspices of the Porthcawl Angling Association. I have included a link which sheds some light on the demise of the P.S.A.A. If you haven't paid a visit to Porthcawl for several decades, ther have been a lot of alterations to the place some good, some not so good, the latest being the revamp of the harbour and its conversion to a "proper" marina. There are further plans to bring Porthcawl into the 21st century but as always it comes down o availability of funds. The fishing is perceived as not as good as the old days, but it is the same old story, if you have done your homework a la marks, you will fair better than most.

link: http://www.porthcawl-angling-association.co.uk/

Best regards,

Ticker (Derek Townsend
)
Hi Ticker

Thanks for the updates. Yes, I am a regular visitor to Porthcawl (at least once a year) & have seen the new marina. Can't remember who did what, apart from Keith who used to work for the telephone company.

Will try to come up over Easter to have a session on the pier for old times sake.

Regards

Eric

·
Registered
439 Posts
The only charge that might come into force is parking meters that BCBC are considering. They could not charge for use of the wall.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts