World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Porthcawl Lighthouse from 4am till 11.30am this morning..

7 mackeral...Big Dee had a couple of mackies too and thats it..no bites on the beachcasters(4 of em)..We floatfished too

Using live crab/rag/sandeel/baby squid/mackeral

I saw a mullet caught..nice too.!!

Plenty of weed/porpoises/jellyfish about...

Managed to break the top eye of my rod..boooo! :(

G

·
I have caught a couple of carrier bags while fishing by the Transporter Bridge in Newport.

I have also seen someone trying to catch what looked like ray down in Plymouth and it turned out to be a white carrier bag!

I have also caught sanitary towels, the one with wings, and they put up a fight!

·
Registered
300 Posts
heard of pollock very close in on a float but only tiny ones but was a few years ago

G

·
MaJeeKa said:
heard of pollock very close in on a float but only tiny ones but was a few years ago
it just seems that it *CAN* be a good vebue for the float, early morning or evening when the crowds have bogged orrfff. Dropping a float close to the wall, or, close to a few of the boats, or, by the enterance to the harbour itself and letting the float trot around in the current!

Or maybe on the outside of the wall, sea side, by the enterance again! It has the potential, but has anyone told the fish!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
About 16 years ago i used to fish beneath the Deep water jetty in Port Talbot, We used to go in numbers about 20 or so of us( that way security never approached us). We tried various difernt techniques one (and probrably the most productive) was float fishing for Pollack. they would shoal like mackeral below the light from one of the huge sodium light units which were there. They wernt even particular with their bait either. All fish caught were arond the 1.5lb mark. Serious Fun.
I would love to go there again but security is tightened up drastically. :cool:

G

·
That is what I have found out about floating in the sea, the fish are very close in, normally I find that I generally get bites/fish at less than 10 yards, most of the time less than 10'.

Recently fished a ledge in Rhosilli, I caught a couple of mackerel on the float at less than 10' out, mainly less than a rod length!

I try to look for features, rocks, weed, anything that will create a distraction to the current and could trap some food and maybe provide some shlter!

All good fun on the right gear!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts