World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Porthcawl Puppies

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Marcus 
#1 ·
Myself and eight mates fished Porthcawl harbour area Monday night 2 up 2 down at HW, it was our first works competition of the year and not a very good start at that. Apart from first prize taken by a six and a half pound small eyed ray and a few stretched doggies to make the official 18inch min length it was quite poor. Whiting were totally non existent and other doggies caught were some of the smallest weve ever caught hence (puppies) wait till they are fully grown they will be building kennels for them on sandy bay in the summer. Bait used on the night varied from sand eels, mackeral, razor fish, squid and rag. Rigs used mostly 3 hook flappers, clipped down pennel rigs, wishbone pulley rigs etc. Any way weather wasn't too bad we all enjoyed the night now looking forward to the next one.( hopefully a couple more fish) everyone keep fishing and updating this website you are all contributing to the best forum (WALES) on the net.
Slack liners coming your way (hopefully) (COD)

#4 ·
My mate was fishing by the harbour wall near the old Sea Scout Hut, he was very surprised and so were the rest of us, there was also a guy fisging on inner part of the lighthouse wall and we were watching the waves coming over the top right next to him.(well mad)

#5 ·
Small Eyed Ray's are usually picked up from the end of the pier casting towards Newton Point. Can also pick up (and drop :() ) thornies off the pier usually get these of the top casting straight out.

Oops hope I am not giving away any secrets....

Prefer ray fishing later in the year from Morfa Beach.

In general the fishing is crap compared to same time last year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.