World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to porthcawl pier tonight with a mate of mine, i was wondering if anyone has any info to give us as for rigs bait etc. Havent fished the pier since the start of the winter. so any help would be a bonus. I fancy one of those smothies but will settle for a few fish!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
mate,,i wouldnt bother tonight..i was gonna go myself,,unless the wind dies down a bit,in the next 2 hours im not bothering..the breakers will be flying over that wall,,i went down to have a look earlier,,it was pretty grim!

if u decide to brave it,clipped pennal rigs with strong size 4/0 hooks...sandeel, mackers, squid, crab,should see you getting some of the smalleyed rays that are about the place,or the smoothies!,,,(but i think i was really lucky with that one),,...forget worm,,waste of time..

Beware of the snag thats directly out off the lighthouse(as if casting towards ogmore,bout 80yrds out),its been deliberatly put there to snag tackle by some old bloke,,who comes and collects the weights afetr 2 weeks and sells em,,,im in the process of finding out who he is. ;)

tight lines
:cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers marcus, i was hoping you wouldn't say about the waves. But if we do chance it is there a safe place to fish from?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
yeah the inner wall alot is safer(on the pier,by the wooden stumps,,but less productive..But then again saying that,,i havent tried it for a while..Its pretty shelterd from the wind and the waves,,although the odd one still comes over,your more likely just to get sprayed there,,not completely soaked..Make sure you got your waterproofs on,,Dont fish any further up the inner wall than the stumps,,you will get soaked(or worse case scenario,swept in),,also liable to lose tackle thats not tied down,,(those waves really do come over there pretty harsh).

Hope this helps.

Marcus. :cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We fished the "marina" wall in the end mate, seen the surf come over the main pier and said no to it. A few people did fish the light house, but we went for the safe plan. Nothing much caught. I blanked, my mate had a small pout and a doggy, loads of people fishing (crossed lines to hell and back). Lots of doggys taken but nothing to write home about. I think i'll leave porthcawl till the winter, but thanks for the help marcus. doggy

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey doggy, it was me on the lighthouse :D

your actually alot safer there than along the wall as im sure you were watching those waves coming over. just to funny watching everyone getting soaked along the pier last night while we were nice and dry on the lighthouse :p

people were even getting soaked by the stumps marcus :eek:

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
you buggers,,,,if it was ok,,why didnt you lemmie know then..!!

I went out for a drive anyway,,went to ogmore beach for a maccky D's,,some people fishing the shingle beach,,but the wind looked like a nightmare,,and the breakers were pretty harsh too..

They musta been mad..

I drove over to monknash..much the same there..mad wind etc..

Then i drove to mumbles..and it was lovely and calm,spoke to a bloke fishing there in a group,couple of dogs is all they had so far,,but there were going to stay till about 2am..

DOggy,,dont give up on porthcawl..its not a bad venue,its just you picked a bad night..saturday,the whole world and his mother is out fishing,plus coz it was bad weather,,,everyone woulda decended on porthcawl,,because its relatively easy to fish.(and safer)
Plus the weather was bloomin awful..

im going up the lighthouse tonight ,,gonna fish till the early hours..

Report to follow after! :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts