World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have been reading the reports on Porthcawl, and would really like to know as much information about fishing there as possible.

Can you park close to where you are fishing, or do you have to walk a fair distance?

What sort of distance do I need to cast?

Can you fish at high and low tide?

What sort of thing can I expect to catch there, at the end of the month begining of next?

What are the best baits to use?

Is there a tackle shop in the area, or should I stop and get my own from somewhere else?

Do you fish from rocks or beach?

I apologise fo all the questions, but I have never fished there before, and don't want to do a 300 mile round trip, and have no idea of what I can expect.

If anyone can supply any tips aswell as the answer to the above questions, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Tightlines to all

·
Registered
383 Posts
depends were you want go. porthcawl has many places to fish. the wall and the pier are the obvious choices casting distance is not needed. both are easily accessable and parking is within spitting distance of fishing spots.both are clean sandy ground.but tend to get busy when tides are right for holiday anglers (not knocking them ). expect most species of fish, winter/whiting pouting and if your lucky you might catch a glimpse of a cod.summer/ anything goes rays dogs bass conger and if we have a good summer some mackeral +pollock might turn up.then there is newton beach( high water ) and newton point ( low water slightly rough ).just round the corner you have rest bay where you might just catch a surfer or two.again all are within short walking distance from the car.all the usual frozen and fresh baits work here.there is a tackle shop in the town centre which is close by. they will give you more info. check out the other threads about porthcawl all will be usefull.also check out multimap.com and it will show you the the beaches and points etc als you can view the map from the air. hope this is a help.

the nose :D

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh 300 miles to go to Porthcawl drive a little bit further and see what Gods' own country is really like(and the fishings better) or save some money on petrol and fish Cardiff, Barry etc-see Poacher for details. Sorry Marcus and antone else who has the misfortune to live there but 4 years working in Trecco Bay has left me with a permanent twitch, an affinity with any Yank who served in Vietnam and an abiding antipathy for the place. :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
couldn't agree more, there are much better places to fish than porthcawl.if you need anymore info just ask :cool:

·
Registered
331 Posts
there are many places to go fishing which is better than porthcawl but for a 300 mile round trip id rather go somewhere where your virtually garanteed to catch and porthcawl is the place to go for a definate fish of some sort

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
sorry paid4..but i seen some cracking rays/smoothies/little tope/mountains of woofters/conger/codling and big bass caught off porthcawl pier the last month or so..i figure its one of the most productive areas around here at the moment.

I feel your pain for working at trecco..for which i am sorry :eek:

But for ease of use,,comfort and access..and variety of species,,i dont think you can fault the ole pier at the moment.. :cool:

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Ease of use, comfort, accessand a good chance of fish hmmmmmmmmm I might be persuaded to tag along one day if that's OK with you Marcus?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hipaid cardiff end is quiet at the moment m8,i think ogmore and southerndown,monknash,porthcawl appears to be the best bet,to have a chance of any kind of decent fish at all........

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Thanks Marcus+ Poach bit awkward at the mo with kids off school but I might sneak down the Sidan tonight, tides about 4am. I just read about someone smashing a doggies head in at Porthcawl and I'm not really up for a rumble tonight but I will try and make it next week I'll pm you Marcus. Decent fish taken at CS this season: 4 3/4, 31/2 lb bass 2 lb flounder by me 2x2 1/2 lb bass by bro-in-law and coz 2x 3 pounders by guy and his wife (I saw) not going to mention the rumoured 10, 7 and 6 pounders I was told about. And lost count of the schoolies from about 6" to 2lb

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks All

I would just like to thankyou all for all your help.

I am thinking of fishing the pier or wall.

Thanks Again and Tightlines

1 - 11 of 11 Posts