World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i used to fish there some 18 odd years back as a kid when it was portishead docks,only ever caught flounders,but used to see huge mullet in there,as did my dad who used to be a docker at avonmouth.he would sometimes have to work at portishead docks unloading PHOSPHORUS!!. you could see the green glow covering every thing,caught some huge flounder from here though,on rag.used to be able to dig rag inere as well,when water level was low enuff, near slipway that was at far end.however since its been turned into a "marina" havent been down there, . if you do give it a go let us know ur results.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
since last post went down and had a look.didnt actually go into marina.understand there is a fishing shop there.they advertise fresh and frozen baits.but had kids and misses in tow so didnt manage to get a look.there is however a pier at the entrance to the marina itself that juts out into the channel itself.never fished it if anybody has let us know what its like..was low tide when was down ther looks very deep channel into marina on one side, channel at the end..seem to remember that it can go under water on biggest tides.this mark is just around corner from battery point so would expect it to produce same species.please if anybody has info on this mark please post.especially if im right and it does indeed get submerged on big tides..there was evidance of fishing here.(unfortunatly)..cheers :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fished off there, it is called the Old Steamer Pier. I was just wondering about the marina as I have heard that bass, pollack, mullet etc have been caught in there, mainly on the float of course :)

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
what does the pier fish like??.as my original post said "huge mullet" in there years ago dont see why they shouldnt still be their.as for bass well no reason why some shouldnt get trapped by lock gates.

when i was down there the channel to the gates on right of pier looking out to sea.looked good bet for bass.

as for pollack never heard of pollack so far up channel but never know .maybe they are pouting.

if you are ever in bristol take a look in bristol docks around cumberland basin and the lock gates out into the river avon. ive seen massive sholls of mullet here in the summer. never tried to fish for them though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
last time I fished there, it was a big tide, the water was coming through the drainage holes. One fish was caught between about 9 rods, and that was a small codling. We were trying everything, distance to just over the wall, nit a bite!

As for the marina, I can only go by what I have heard, I was basically upto date info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts