World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A break in the cold winds - no frost on the car and light Northerly forecast for all day with a middling tide. A few drops for bait on the way out but just the one mackerel to go with the frozen stuff. Anchored at the bottom of a slope near the Adamant, heavy trace, whole squid and half a launce on the 20lb gear, slice of the fresh mackerel on the 12lb class. Lovely clear water and enough tide to warrant 10oz. No sign of the sun all day, just the merest hint on the horizon to the south, but at least it was dry. A border force cutter was playing at deploying a rib close by, a lot of noise made but did eventually go play elsewhere.

It didn't take long for the dogs to find the baits, so switched to head and guts on 1 rod. A few touches before its taken down tide by a thornback, male about 7lb. A small blonde came up on the mackerel strip. Defrosted a cuttlefish to see if that would choke off the dogs a bit, the head resulted in a dog that wasn't hooked but wouldn't let go. Sliced the body into two pieces, small conger chocking on one half and a double figure thornie on the other. So back to mackerel, launce pieces, squid up to slack water for a total of 4 thornbacks, 2 blondes, at least a dozen dogs and 2 conger.

The wind got up for an hour over slack but strips of the remainder of the cuttle produced 3 big whiting and a bream, whiting all 45cm and the bream 40cm. Dinner tonight is whiting fillets for a change. As soon as the tide picked up, the whiting and wind stopped but the kennels were opened again. However 1 conger and 2 more female thornbacks about 9/10lb managed to beat the dogs to the baits. Packed up earlier than usual to refuel, just in time as 6 police ribs turned up just after me at the fuel berth, 6 or seven on board each with some officers from Wales judging by the names on the high viz.

Water Stingray Skate Cartilaginous fish Rays and skates
Stingray Skate Fish Rays and skates Cartilaginous fish
Water Sleeve Marine biology Fish Cartilaginous fish
Fish Cartilaginous fish Marine biology Fin Marine invertebrates
Water Rays and skates Fish Cartilaginous fish Stingray
Water Stingray Skate Rays and skates Fish
Fin Fish Marine biology Food Tail
Stingray Liquid Rays and skates Cartilaginous fish Fish
Fish Marine biology Cartilaginous fish Snout Electric ray

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great to see the start of some decent size whiting Steve, would be great if the bream stuck around to.I hope to get out with you on the next weather window once my GPS C120 is fixed.If not fixed i will be begging to be crew.Darned networked electrics.
Espadon

Eso

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good going Steve. You don’t want to be in that queue at the fuel pontoon!
It was busy throughout the marina with lots of the navy in as well, but 2 ribs filled up while I was filling just one of mine. Smit Yare (big range safety vessel) was occupying the whole of one side for diesel, probably1000s of litres, there when I arrived and still going when I'd finished.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
It was busy throughout the marina with lots of the navy in as well, but 2 ribs filled up while I was filling just one of mine. Smit Yare (big range safety vessel) was occupying the whole of one side for diesel, probably1000s of litres, there when I arrived and still going when I'd finished.
I usually refill with 20L Jerry cans. The pontoon opening times and queues on the Hamble are no fun and the price is no joke either.

Thankfully the rear of my campervan is, by sheer luck, ideal for transporting fuel and fish. Alas I’m only guaranteed to use fuel not catch fish!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I usually refill with 20L Jerry cans. The pontoon opening times and queues on the Hamble are no fun and the price is no joke either.

Thankfully the rear of my campervan is, by sheer luck, ideal for transporting fuel and fish. Alas I’m only guaranteed to use fuel not catch fish!
I tried jerry cans when Portland petrol was off earlier in the year - when I needed 220+L - not good for the back. I paid £1.55L Wednesday for E5 at Portland which is only 0.05 more then the E10 is at the nearest garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts