World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Just thought i'd post on here to ask for a bit of advice. I've just moved and am now a reasonable drive from Portland and the east end of Chesil.

Had a walk about there (Portland bill) on Easter weekend. It was full of tourists, I suppose rightly so, it was dry and a long weekend. Didn't see anyone fishing (it was howling windy), but did see someone hand-lining down a gully. Not sure how he got on.

Hoping to head out over the coming days, but wondered any anyone had advice as to what to use. Initially I thought, going with a bit of rag and targeting small wrasse in the gullies, but the time i'm going is 2 hours before low, so maybe I should spin? Quite happy to catch anything really, but a Pollock would be nice ... for dinner. Can't keep Bass currently can you? Did I read the rules right?

Anyway, happy for pointers, and what to spinners.plugs/lures to use as they majority of my unsuccessful spinning labours were done around Lyme.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi Paul
Best bit of advice I can give to you is to go into Chesil Bait and tackle and have a chat with the guys in there they can and will give you all the help you need. Word of warning though leave your wallet at home as there's loads of shiny stuff in there and if you're even slightly weak willed (like me) you'll be parting with loads of cash:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that feeling. I'm a very keen coarse angler so when I've been into TackleUK I've been like a kid in a sweet shop. Nearly ended up buying a new pole even though I have 2. Managed to steer clear though. I've found buying lures is quite addictive.

"I need this one, and a smaller version, and a bigger version... and this one....!" that's 6 x £9.99 please... DOH!

I'll definitely head to that shop. Not entirely sure it'll be open when i'm heading out mind.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
We were there, hiding away.
You're better off with baits at this time of year, until the sea warms up a little and the fish become more active.
Hermit, hardback, peeler or rag worm would be my preference for the wrasse.
We were catching loads on lures in January but not a sniff in recent trips.
You're right about bass, catch and release until 1st July if my memory serves me right.
If you're fishing around low, I would head for pulpit rock and fish a hour either side. Fishy bait for pollack or worm for wrasse. You could try float fishing when the tide stops all together. Depends if you mind losing rigs.
It's also worth grabbing some jellys and weedless hooks which you can bump along the kelp. 10g is plenty for low tide but you'll need double that when the tide is ripping.
Interested to see how you get on.
Hope you catch a few.

·
Banned
1,485 Posts
I was up there for a walk about 4pm on Saturday and not too far from where you pic was taken a fella was coming off with a little spinning rod and a bag of mackerel. He was the next lump along after the red crane and boat going away from the bill lighthouse.

When the Chesil bait and tackle lot point you at the £20+ lure tell em to F. off and get yourself a couple of fiiish black minows and sandeels. Apart from trying to flog the expensive lures they are more honest about what is coming out (or not) at any given time than other shops in tourist towns generally are.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
When the Chesil bait and tackle lot point you at the £20+ lure tell em to F. off and get yourself a couple of fiiish black minows and sandeels.
Or even better, grab yourself some chinese jellys, 100 for £5. I've had 1 last me since last October and it has caught plenty of fish :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a carp rod with a float for fish baits and my light spinning rod which can double up as a bait down the gullies rod. What sort of rig set up are we talking? For both float and ledger. I know it's snaggy. I've got some substantial braid on my spinning reel from piking in the winter, but I'll be dropping down to a lighter leader/rig. Any recommendations? Lightish weights with a basic paternoster? Hook size? Is there anywhere to fish about 2-3 hours before low?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Yes simple one hook rigs snaggy, you need some gear to shift the bigger wrasse. Sand holes, towards the bill, float fish Pollack, Gar.

C

·
0 Posts
Get in the shop with your credit card and buy what ever the nice man tells you........ dont look at the number just put your PIN in and tell the Mrs its her Christmas present when the bill comes in..... job done!.

I hope you get over the puking!.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you fish pulpit 2 hours either side of low water is best as the tide will be to strong at other times

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just looking at all the potential marks on that island, there are so many to choose from. Think I'm going to try and keep it simple. Does look like a great, but in some instances very dangerous place to fish.

Will let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a carp rod with a float for fish baits and my light spinning rod which can double up as a bait down the gullies rod. What sort of rig set up are we talking? For both float and ledger. I know it's snaggy. I've got some substantial braid on my spinning reel from puking in the winter, but I'll be dropping down to a lighter leader/rig. Any recommendations? Lightish weights with a basic paternoster? Hook size? Is there anywhere to fish about 2-3 hours before low?

Thanks again.
Puking in the winter ? Was it something you ate ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts