World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im new to the forum and to shore fishing, and am looking for some general advice. im not too bothered about targeting specific species or specimen sizes, i just want to get started with some basics and some fish to chuck on the bbq!

ive done a bit of research and portland bill seems to be a good spot to start some rock fishing, but becuase im a novice to this type of fishing im not too sure about a number of things, some general advice and tips on :
-time of day/tides and the effects
-distances to cast out
-rigs
-float fishing depths and or fishing on the bottom
-baits
-good marks

sorry if some points sound stupid or obvious but would realy appreciate some help.. cheers!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere, so no your questions are not stupid.

I wouldnt suggested fishing Portland Bill if you are new to fishing its not an easy place to fish as its very snaggy.

If you want to just start somewhere and catch a few fish for the BBQ then get yourself some mackerel feathers [the hockais or shrimp type work well]and head down to Chesil Beach, make sure you use a shock leader [do a search for how to tie one etc] so you do not snap off on the cast and hit someone with your lead.

Then tie on your feathers with a lead weight on the bottom, cast it as far as you can and retrieve it whilst pumping the rod tip up and down.

You should get a few mackerel for the BBQ.

Steve

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I do agree there craig Portland can be a difficult place to fish, but if you are adamant, then the best bet would be to get some ragworm and crab (your local tackle shop should be able to help out there!) and some pre tied rigs from them as well, with small (size 1/0 to 1) hooks and you have the chance of catching pollack, wrasse and bass, but as mentioned you will lose a lot of tackle as it is very snaggy down there - Chesil is MUCH easier to fish

James

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys im glad i asked now, can u suggest any where else? me and my mate where jst looking for somewhere we can make some short cast and chill whilst waiting for some bites, lazy ino! or would chesil be good for this i have nooo idea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts