World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far since buying my first boat a year ago most of my fishing has been in Weymouth Bay, Ringstead Ledges and Lulworth Banks. I have only tried along the East Shore of Portland once and that was a very short drift a couple of weeks ago when the fog came in so I retreated to the harbour.

I want to fish this area more; however, I understand that both Grove Point and The Ledges off Church Ope can be dangerous. Please can someone give me the low down on what tides its safe to fish these areas and what tides it is not?

I get the feeling my catch rate will improve somewhat if I target this area over the next few months as the Bass and Pollack become more prolific and I guess there is always a chance of a Cod as well?

Steve

·
Registered
938 Posts
:laugh: Hi Steve, All tidal areas can be dangerous mate, just use common sense. Both the tide runs off Grove and Godnor can be fished safely two hours either side of slack. I wouldn,t suggest it in big springs or wind against tide, but ok apart from that mate. Fished there loads of times when I had my 16 footer. The ground is really rough so trips are needed on the anchor, or a grappel made fron re-bar that will straighten under a pull. Tight in you can get all the Wrasse, Triggers, Bream, bass, Macckie, Gar etc. Deeper you can get the usual LSD, plus Bullies, Skate, Hounds etc. Good area if you get it right but as I said, common sense prevails mate. Drifting the deep hole off Church Ope can be good, as can the Mussel Beds off the Caves. Bass later in the year, along with Cod in Godnor Race. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ive got a rebar grapnel in my garden its yours for a tenner. im always around weymouth so could delever too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So far since buying my first boat a year ago most of my fishing has been in Weymouth Bay, Ringstead Ledges and Lulworth Banks. I have only tried along the East Shore of Portland once and that was a very short drift a couple of weeks ago when the fog came in so I retreated to the harbour.

I want to fish this area more; however, I understand that both Grove Point and The Ledges off Church Ope can be dangerous. Please can someone give me the low down on what tides its safe to fish these areas and what tides it is not?

I get the feeling my catch rate will improve somewhat if I target this area over the next few months as the Bass and Pollack become more prolific and I guess there is always a chance of a Cod as well?

Steve
steve come and see me i will tell about the tides so phone me on 07721320352 and we can meet up if this will help you dave

·
Registered
465 Posts
I've recently purchaced a tidal stream book for this area for the same reasons, we've had a lot of success all along here, if it looks a wee bit rough we avoid it, simple. Just keep your eyes skinned, forarmed with the tide info. Bit of a pull if your anchoring here!!
Last fortnight we were drifting this coast picking up wrass & pollack.
I wen't out this Wed evening and was level with the Bill picking the makky, bit of a chop on way back in but nothing too bad. But I am very cautious and aware of my limitations, and am slowly developing my knoledge base. Good shout from Weydave and Boybilly, can't beat experience

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've recently purchaced a tidal stream book for this area for the same reasons, we've had a lot of success all along here, if it looks a wee bit rough we avoid it, simple. Just keep your eyes skinned, forarmed with the tide info. Bit of a pull if your anchoring here!!
Last fortnight we were drifting this coast picking up wrass & pollack.
I wen't out this Wed evening and was level with the Bill picking the makky, bit of a chop on way back in but nothing too bad. But I am very cautious and aware of my limitations, and am slowly developing my knoledge base. Good shout from Weydave and Boybilly, can't beat experience
Cheers for the info, got myself the tidal stream data as well, studying it as we speak as well as the charts. I often walk the cliffs along the east shore and have seen how bad it can get, but also seen how calm it can be. As you and Billy say, a bit of common sense and being cautious.

And yes, as far as local experience is concerned you don't get much better than Billy and Dave. :marinheir

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts