World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this report is a bit late! fished Portlethen (about2 days earlier and 1/2 mile north of Craig Ds great catch) from 1 PM until 6 PM.

Was plagued by small saithe and tiny codling. Could not attract any big fish at all, no matter how big I made the baits.

Used a combination of rag, mussell and squid. Looks like I need to get access to some lug and crab going by Craig D standards. (Wished I'd been with him).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Can't stop laughing - "by Craig D's standards". I got lucky, almost put the rods away till summer. I was staring 4 blanks in the face, if I had blanked the other day that was it. I knew nothing of the mark, although I have fished the downies a good few times. Me and a mate set off knowing that conditions were far from ideal so we got thinking on the drive up and decided to gamble on Downies.

I can take no credit for the bait as it was all his - (best bait I have fished with all season). Crab takes some beating when you are casting into kelp beds. It was a struggle to get down to the rocks and when we got there I didn't fancy our chances and thought about moving. I got as close to the water as I could safely do and set up my rod, my mate John set up to my left on a lower set of rocks closer to shore. He got a bite straight away although nothing came of it. I got a fish straight after that. Then another within 5 mins of casting my new bait out, John decided to make a long move round to the opposite side from where i was.

I was going no where 2 fish in 2 casts, I was sitting it out here. I got a bite on every cast I made except the last. I lost one of size as it caught me trying to eat a sandwhich - it made of towards the shore like a steam train, I tightened up on it felt the thumping then all went solid. I saw John starting to make his way back up the hill - there was no phone signal so I packed up followed him back up - slowly it was a long way up! Arrived at the top panting with steam coming off me - wearing a flotation suit has its limitations as does being unfit - I wont be back to that mark till I shed a few stone...lol the thought of a heart attack at 26 is not appealing.

Got back to the car put the fish on the scales - was a great time for me, unfortunately John left empty handed which was strange considering we fishing relatively close. He found some depth of water on his side where as I had nothing just cast out and it hit bottom.

Oh and I wish you were with me too - maybe you could have carried some of my fish back up that bloody hill - I forgot my knife so had to carry them whole - at least they were in one piece for the pics.....I suppose.....lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts