World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the evening from 8 till 12 with a float rod set up and a spinning rod.

Fished the float rod with frozen sandeels. Got a nice take close in with the bait set at twenty feet, but the fish crashed into the rocks and kelp and snapped me off after a few seconds - assumed it was a decent pollock.

Shortened the float to twelve feet and fished 15 yards out, immediately the float disappeared. Hooked and landed a nice 4 1/2 lb pollock.

Nothing else happening at 12 feet so lengthened to 16 feet and fished hard against the rocks. Got a bite and landed a small red codling of about 1/2lb.

Had a couple of other nibbles on the float rod, but nothing happened with them.

Tried the spinning rod with a dexter wedge and got a couple of pulls, but never hooked up. Gave up with the spinning rod after a while, as the float had a habit of springing into life just as I had cast.

Enjoyable night.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like a good night......I'm dying for a shot back up there. Doesn't look likely so far due to work. There are so many new bits I want to try, especialy round on the downies side where I had a good catch in the winter - the kelp was so thick round there, just screams summer codling.

The pollock fishing also has some potential, I think you will lose as many as you land but great sport on light tackle. For now I will just read what you lot catch on here...jealous as hell..............lol.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hi lewister going up that way on sunday what bit of portlethan did u fish not done much summer fishing up that way all winter codhunter

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.worldseafishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=360&Itemid=47

Have a read of the attached link. There are two marks listed there. I fished the bothy mark the other night. If you have fished there before, you will know which one it is.

When I have fished the other mark (ships stern) I has always found that it is a poor summer mark, but a better winter one. (Although great for Mackerel in August)

Watch out for the lobster creel lines, they are very long, and easy to cast across and get snagged on. Hopefully they will have moved them somewhere else by the time you get there. I had one close by that I managed to avoid.

First time I have used frozen sandeels here - won't be the last. I am told by one guy that he freelined ragworm around the Portlethen area for Pollock with a lot of success. I will give that a go next time.

Good luck

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Looks like a good mark to try, been fishing around the red rock recently and only a few small cod and pollock to show for it. Think me and my mate need some practice in the old casting department to broaden our fishing range though.

Anything happening around Findon?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Raging

Haven't tried Findon Ness for years (nearly came a cropper there once on slippery rocks, dry on the way down, but it rained, and it was a nightmare on the way back)

Portlethen fishes about the same as Red Rock, but don't cast far unless you want the Dabs. The Pollock seem to be a decent size at the moment as the one I lost the other night was a good fish too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The same reason I have not fished it for some time, very nasty when wet. Just getting back into the fishing after a few years out of the circle, wondering why though now. We got some cracking fishing on our doorstep here. Will casting lines as soon as I get home from offshore.

Was fishing red rock just before I came away and didn't get anything but got about 5 huge bites where the rod nearly went in the water. Picked up the rod and felt for the fish but nothing there.......any idea what hits the bait that hard and then lets go? Thought maybe big crabs or someting.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like a cod bite, but depends on how you were fishing i.e. hard to the bottom , mid-water etc, and what bait you were using.

If you are targeting cod with the usual baits and the bait is hit hard like that I find you are better to strike and wind, cause the fish has more than likely picked up the bait and is moving off, if you get a couple of knocks which are possibly followed by another couple I wind down to feel for the fish before I hit it.

This method seems to work for me, but I'm sure there are other ways to strike a bite that work for other people.

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Were there any cormorants in the area?

I had a stonking bite once that turned out to be a cormorant swimming into my line under the water.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cheers Davo, I was never quite sure how to handle the big knocks which is why I have missed most. Will try just striking and pulling in next, knowing my luck these were probably the only big bites I ever get.

Saying that the bites might have been a bird hitting the line underwater, was a few small birds fishing in the area. Not sure what to think now, were they big bites meaning big fish and I just missed them or decide that I'm not as **** as I thought and say they were a bird and I didn't miss big fishies

·
Registered
85 Posts
Even a small fish can buckle a rod tip over, unless you are using a very stiff rod.

Could well have been a bird, i've had my share of birds flying or swimming into the line, but I prefer to think every good knock is a potential record breaker.

If nothing else we fishermen are optomists always hoping next time will be better, why else would we torture ourselves after a blank session by going straight back out to do it all again...

Next time out you will get that fish!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts