World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, haven't posted on here in a while (since my first and last disastrous attempt at night fishing!). After a long and unfortunately fishingless winter I managed to get a couple of runs out this week on Sunday and Tuesday evening.

Sunday started digging for worms at the low tide at a local spot as the local tackle shop was closed by the time I got organised, I was pleasantly surprised with the haul of rag I got from about half an hours digging and there were a few monsters in there....if only the fishing came up as good as the dig for worms I'd be a very happy guy.....onto that now...

Arrived at Portmuck and was fishing for about 4.30 started round the back as it looked fairly good round there and there was a guy fishing there already (first time trying here so didn't really know what to expect). Me and a friend of mine fished here for about 3 hours and I pulled in one ballan wrasse of decent enough size around a kilo (I was happy anyway) and unfortunately that was it. We both had flapper rigs out with rag on them the whole time and were combining with spinners and feathers on the spinning rods while the baits sat out. The wrasse was caught on the baited line.
Moved round to the end of the wall at the harbour about an hour before high tide and cast two baited rigs out at different distances to the left of the rocky area out from the harbour and I continued to spin with no luck on the spinner. My mate played about with his LRF gear and was catching plenty of tidlers around the harbour wall and weeds. I got one coalie (I think) on the baited line, was on the light side of 1lb I'd say. Stayed here doing this for about 2 to 3 hour durations and packed up and headed home. Didn't lose any gear here all day which was a win seems to be fairly weed and rock free at least!

Tuesday evening decided to head to blackhead again a new venture for myself and my mate as we'd never fished here either. After a bit of googling decided to try to find the flat rocks under the lighthouse....we found some flat rocks anyway and fished from there. Similar set up to sunday, a bait rod each with rag and some sandeel this time and spinning and feathers with the spinning rods. Stayed for 2 hours either side of high tide, lost a hell of a lot of gear with the beach casters here using the bait, bottom seems very rough. My mate caught a sub 1lb pollock on his bait rod and I got a 1lb+ pollock on the feathers, packed up about 11.45pm.

Not overly successful but at least not blanks!

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Hiya Rosso,
You beat the blank mate which is the main thing.
Its all part of the learning curve as regards sussing out venue,state of tide, tactics etc.
Tight lines.
Rick;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Rosso, Great effort all round. Bottom fishing at Blackhead would be tackle hungry but does throw up the odd surprise on bait. Once had 3 Ballan Wrasse all over 3lb one after the other from those rocks below the lighthouse but that was in the mid 80's lol...

Sam...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Hiya Rosso,

Last time me and Iain fished Portmuck the bottom seemed very clean compared with previous years, Portmuck facing the Island was always a tackle grave yard, not now it seems, maybe see a return of some Codling this winter if the boats stay away from the Southern Cod bank.

But you and the mate gave it a good go and never forget although it may not seem like it but you have gained a heap of fishing experience, no disasters this time i hope:BigGrin:
Fish on the deck, spinning and bait fishing it all adds up.

No blank, that"s for sure:cool2:

Mark...:)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Lol pesky fecking seals worry me more..
I always say to lads when they point out a seal, is that a seal! hahahah:ugh2:

Never had the fish go off the feed at rock marks because a seal makes an entry, beaches ? the jury is still out on that one, i"ve hooked about 3/4 from Redbay pier in Winter, the pups are prone to a full Squid or a fresh Whiting of a pound or so:whistling:

Squid static as far as i can cast it,
Whiting being reeled ashore.

Its the Eskimo in me ( brown eyes):rolleyes:

Mark...

Reactions: Yaker731
1 - 9 of 9 Posts